FDNY TL-44's old Mack Apparatus sitting in Virginia Fire Department

Yesterday, while driving through Prince William County, Virginia, a DC Suburb, I saw TL-44's old Mack Aerialscope sitting in the back parking lot of the Dale City Vol. Fire Department Station #10 next to their cut-up cars.  It looks like 44's rig from either 1989 or 1998 (See fdnytrucks.com: http://fdnytrucks.com/images/bronx/e92/FDNYL044-A.jpg)  Stars above the windshield are my basis for this comparison since that kind of marking would be company-specific and not a standard marking on all FDNY tower ladders.  There is a "44" on the bucket but couldn't go by that since companies put all kinds of tape and other markings when using a rig as a spare.

Per the young FFer on a smoke break I spoke with he said the department acquired the rig from a tree service company in Pennsylvania for its aerial.  The aerial was tested and is considered serviceable.  They apparently want to replace the aerial on their current ladder because it is too problematic. (NFI)

I welcome any corrections.

FDNYOLDTL44-1_zps805b9052.jpg

FDNYOLDTL44-4_zps763bc022.jpg

FDNYOLDTL44-3_zps940461a6.jpg

FDNYOLDTL44-2_zps706bbe32.jpg

That sure looks like one of the rigs I followed around in the Bronx for a few years. If it could talk, what a story it could tell.

My guess is it was the 1989 rig just from the years that I spent in the area. In the 90s that area of the Bronx was one of the busiest in the city. During that time, if I was to pick my favorite Ladder Company to buff, it was TL 44. They were first and second due on a lot of the jobs I buffed there in the 90s.

As I suspect, that rig is about 25 years old and it sure saw it's share of work during those years. It also shows how Strong and Tough these rigs were made. The ladder still operates after all this time.

On a side note, the department I was in, had a reserve ladder that we acquired from another department. They had purchased it from the FDNY. I believe it was a 1970 Seagrave rearmount from Ladder 109 (?). That rig battled the FDNY War Years in Brooklyn. Went on to serve as a front line rig for a Volunteer dept after a rehab job. Then became a reserve rig in another career department. That 1970/71 rig still saw action until just a few years ago.

Of course, once in awhile, I got to drive that rearmount. I was all smiles like a kid sitting in a fire truck. I liked even the sound of it. And in my own mind, I could hear those Brooklyn dispatchers, non stop, over a radio that didn't even exist. Strange but True.

TL44's '91 Mack 95' rig ended up at Brookfield salvage in Elmsford, NY where it most likely met the cutter's torch. That rig in the photos might have been TL9's '89 Mack 95' rig that TL44 used while awaiting their new rig in 2002.

44 Truck moved to E42 in July 1997 due to a construction project at 92/44 /B17.

44 had a 91 Mack 95 foot TL (MT9108D) assigned but it would not fit in E42 quarters . Division 6 wanted to keep the 95 footer within the division so it went to TL 23.  The rig did not work out at TL 23 due to W139th St. being narrow. The rig then went to TL 17.  A while later TL 9 was in a bad accident. The job wanted 9 truck to have a 95 footer so the rig went to them until they got a new one.
All this time 44 had a 84 Mack 75 foot TL.

Andy Leider owns MT8902, which is the original L9.  he bought it from a private owner in Pennsylvania who got it from the chief of Meadowood NH, who bought numerous FDNY rigs at the navy yard over the years. 

The one in Virginia is MT9108, which was original L44, then L17, then L23 for 3 days, then L9, then back to 44.

Thanks, Mike.  So that would be this one then?  Notice the stars above the windshield.

FDNYL044-C.jpg

BTW: I really enjoy your site. Excellent resource. I'm on it all the time.

reply 5 is the original L9.  it had a different graphics scheme from all the others, and although this pic was post accident, the rear body graphics remained.