Fdny Urban search and rescue Units

I know at one point they ran a peterbuilt i had seen it light years ago sometime in the mid 90's. Is the peterbuilt still around?? what over vehicles do they use for usar are there any pics of these???

Not 100% sure but I believe USAR equipment is carried by the Collapse Rescues and the POD Units.

I believe the Peterbuilt Anesti is talking about is no longer in service. It was kept at the Fire Academy for a long time. Last time I saw it, which was a few years ago, it was parked at the bone yard at EMS Hqs in Maspeth Queens.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY USAR stuff is spread over the following units.
Squads
Squad 1's TRV
Rescue's
Rescue Collapse units (Now 1 per boro)
Hazmat
Rescue Medics.

Then you have the little special stuff like the POD's and SOC support units.
There is no one "USAR" unit in FDNY like other cities have.

actually i just remembered i was thinking of the fema cache units my appologies.

What kind of rescue and usar equipment would the fdny haz-mat rig carry?Its not ran as a rescue.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
HAZMAT is a very big part of USAR.

Take a look at a standard building collapse.  Hazmat comes in and will start looking into gas leaks, contents that might be a hazard within the building.
Here is an example of a 10-60 which had a hazmat issue
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/26/national/main507323.shtml

Also the other big thing hazmat will do is air monitoring at confined space incidents.

So no they don't carry ropes and things like that, but they are a very important part of the operations.

I believe FDNY is part of NY-TF1 one of 28 FEMA US&R task forces nation wide.
Also what FDNY units make up this task force?
and, is  NYTF1 certified as one of the enhanced WMD teams? i believe theres only 8 teams?

Yes, hazmat is a very important part of FDNY US&R missions.theres four main parts to a task force.
search team
rescue team
medical team
technical team
hazmat would fall under the technical team.
and dont forget the law enforcement side too. but i believe they have to be cross certified as U.S. marshals. during fema operations only. mahalo

During the winter, I spend my time in Bonita Springs, FL.    The Southwest Florida USAR Task Force 6 team is made up of members from several different departments including Bonita.   They have their equipment stored in three tractor trailers, located at San Carlos Park FD Station 3, a Dodge Ram 3500 stake truck with trailer at Bonita 4, and an Ambulance.

Information and pictures at:

http://www.swfusar.org/photos.cfm    and

http://www.swfusar.org/        (Picture taken from the training tower, looking at the rear of Bonita Station Four)

There is no specific unit that is assigned to the Task force. It is made up of individual members that are assigned to the various squads rescues, hazmat. and nypd esu cops.