FDNY vs. NYPD ESU: Who does what?

I have listened for years to both FDNY and NYPD SOD/ESU frequencies and the bad blood between FDNY SOC and NYPD SOD is legendary.  Still, I can't figure out why ESU is equipped and performs many of the same roles of FD such as auto extrication, collapse rescue, hazmat, etc.  The cynic in me says they do these roles to stay at the manpower levels, funding levels and be relevant but there seems to be a lot of overlap.  Which begs the question...who does what?  Is it a matter of simply who gets on scene first? Are there any "rules" or "protocols" which spell that out?

Also, has the recent unfortunate PD LODDs and visible support FD has shown for PD helped bring SOC and SOD any closer?

Here's a link to some of the Citywide Incident Management System (CIMS) charts. They go over some of the incidents each agency (including FDNY and NYPD) have command of as well as outlining unified command and single-agency command, like the primary agency of an auto extrication is either NYPD or FDNY, whoever arrives first on scene. I hope his helps a bit.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/em/downloads/pdf/Appendix_cims_charts.pdf

c.i.m.s. I a good protocol providing it is not a high profile incident/emergency south of 96 st in the borough of manhattan.
in this instance all bets are off because of the media coverage.

FDNY793727 said:
Here's a link to some of the Citywide Incident Management System (CIMS) charts. They go over some of the incidents each agency (including FDNY and NYPD) have command of as well as outlining unified command and single-agency command, like the primary agency of an auto extrication is either NYPD or FDNY, whoever arrives first on scene. I hope his helps a bit.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/em/downloads/pdf/Appendix_cims_charts.pdf
Thanks guys!  Very informative and exactly what i was hoping to find.  Surprised to see PD has ice and water rescue especially since FD has larger vessels and they both have boat in distress based on whomever gets there first.  I'm sure there was a lot a compromising and turf protection when that document was created (negotiated?)