FDNYs Classic Rig Logo's

In another thread on this site (FDNY Firehouses - also in the History Section), I learned that Ladder 85, the First FDNY Mack Tower Ladder to get the entire roof and boom area painted all white was referred to as "The Big Vanilla" from "mack".

So often company logos were painted on the rigs themselves. Guys had their own T-shirts made up with these logos as well. This had a huge positive impact on the effects of the moral in the companies. Just a few simple words or a picture meant so much to the guys we call today, "The FDNY War Years Firefighters".

As a buff, along with many of my other friends who joined me, we always gave this policy high marks. The logos were classic.

I remember:

Engine 88 and Ladder 38 having painted on those rigs "First Due at the Zoo"
Engine 45, one of the lime green mack pumpers, with a picture of Kermit the frog saying "it's not easy being green".
Ladder 114 had "Tally Ho" painted on the boom of its Tower Ladder
Battalion 43, and I believe Eng 245/Lad 161, had a picture of a clown and amusement park on the rig doors for their first due area of Coney Island
Rescue 3 had the words "Big Blue"
Eng/Sqd 41 had painted on that rig, "Best of Both Worlds - Bronx and Harlem"
Eng 50/Lad 19 had painted on the rig a picture of an Viking stating "Nobody's Perfect".
Eng 58/Lad 26 had painted on the rig "The Fire Factory"
Lad 40 had "Life Begins at Forty"
Lad 131 had painted on the boom "The Happy Hookers"

There were dozens more.

Other cities did the same.

In Bridgeport, Ct., Engine 7 was referred to as "The Dump Rats" because they would spend entire nights flowing water on the burning dump debris. Yet nobody wanted to transfer out of there. The moral was very high. They even had T-shirts made up of a cartoon rat, standing holding a hose with a fire helmet on.

Norwich, Ct had "The Best in the West" at their Engine 6 which covered the west side of that small city. There was a picture of a covered horse drawn wagon surrounded by Indians on display.

There are so many others. The members of the FDNY had some of the BEST. Just a simple, low cost item, that the members paid for themselves. It built a strong company pride. 

There are so many others. They really were Great Times. The bicentennial in 1976 (at the height of the FDNY War Years) was another time when fire apparatus and firehouse doors displayed our countries 200th Birthday with the red, white, and blue. The art work done was nothing short of amazing.

I do remember 76 lots of the hydrants in my Area East Harlem were painted Red, White and Blue. Some bumpers on those Macks were also painted Red White and Blue. 53/43 El Barrios Bravest , no Lying there , E-91 Spanish Harlem say no more with that Nice Single Rose. Lots of Pride.     

" Ladder 114 had "Tally Ho" painted on the boom of its Tower Ladder" -  nfd2004

Until fairly recently 114 Truck used to acknowledge its Radio Runs with the Phrase 'Tally Ho'.
I've not heard that reply in a while now, and suspect they May have been Instructed to Refrain... .  ;)

A few others that I remember:

Ladder 124 - "The Tonka Truck", named after a toy truck manufacturer
Eng 69/Lad 28 - "The Harlem Hilton"
Eng 72/Sat 2 - "Never a Dull Moment"
Eng 7 (?) - "The Lucky 7" - had a pair of dice displayed on the rig
Eng 280/Lad 132 - "The Eye of the Storm"
Eng 255/Lad 157 (?) - "The Jolly Rogers"
Ladder 59 - "The Blue Devils"
Eng 54/Lad 4 - "Midtown Express"

Of course there are many displayed in the NYC Firehouse thread in the History Section. And as we see, Mike's fdnysbravest.com (I still love that Eng 45 Kermit the Frog). Thanks Mike, ain't they great !!!!

Bridgeport's Engine 10/Ladder 10 was on Putnam St called "Camp Putnam".

Norwich, Ct had the "Weaver St Special". An old 1942 American LaFrance Ladder truck that the city bought to be used as a reserve rig for $5,000. From a town in Westchester County, NY. The firehouse it had served from was on Weaver St in that county. 

Providence, RI had the "Broad St Bullies" for Engine 10/Ladder 5 on Broad St. A picture of a Cartoon Bulldog on the rigs.
Eng 8/Lad 2 - "West End Express"

mack

Administrator
E 72 "Never a Dull Moment"

E 45 "It ain't easy being green"

L 48 "Driver carries no cash"

E 58/L 26 "The Fire Factory"

Thanks Mike

A few more for fun:
E282/L148 - It Ain't Easy
E151/TL76 - Southern Comfort
E168 - Shanghai Express