Federal Qs on Marauder IIs

As was the case with the older seagraves, have any companies fitted or modified their rigs with federal Q sirens, or is this now a banned practice by FDNY, only it seems we dont hear any federal Qs anymore.

JT

Bulldog

Bulldog
Hopefully if you will pop up.  They are so much better at clearing traffic than any of the other sirens out there including the EQ2 they are installing on all of the new apparatus.  I really don't understand why FDNY doesn't have them on all of their apparatus.

those Q sirens are great but they are tough on Alternators. Some time back this was covered here on the web site.

Correct, tough on alternators....

...also, they're over $3,000 dollars when a EQ2b is $300.  When you consider that over 400 rigs it's millions of dollars.  Money is all that matters here.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Chowson said:
Correct, tough on alternators....

...also, they're over $3,000 dollars when a EQ2b is $300.  When you consider that over 400 rigs it's millions of dollars.  Money is all that matters here.
Yes, they are tough on alternators but thousands of trucks run every day with them without any problems.  Besides the new LED lighting uses less electricity so there should be plenty of alternator capacity available.  The cost between the 2 types goes away rapidly if one accident is prevented!  Preventing one accident would more than pay for putting a Q on every piece of apparatus.

Sirens and lights do NOTHING to prevent accidents.  Responsible apparatus operation does it all.

I drive a rig through the streets of NYC on a regular basis.....and my company has a Q siren, the real deal.  It doesn't work any better or worse than anything else.  It sounds great and it's Buffy, but it doesn't make for a safer response, so let's put that idea to bed right now.

Indeed, if it does the job, then thats all that matters in the great scheme of things. I think I was just being a bit nostalgic!!!!

Over here we have siren packages on the appliances that have 5 settings for different noises, and road users respond more to  the change in tone, and the bull/air horn.

It seems, especially in Manhattan with the one way streets, that noise projection is essential in alerting road users further down the road, as opposed to right in front of the truck, that your there and trying to get through, and the current package used on FDNYs rigs just does not seem to do that.

Having said that, in times of fiscal austerity and with the amount of rigs the FDNY has, the guys make the best with what they have, as we always do!!!

JT

JT, our sirens work just fine.  No amount of noise and flashing lights can compete with a distracted (or indifferent) driver.  It's up to the apparatus chauffeur to operate with awareness and safety.

Rodent251 said:
Chowson.. I guess its just nostalgia in me.

What company you with bro?

JT

I couldn't agree more on the nostalgia angle.  The classic whine can't be beat.

PM sent.