Ferarra awarded ladder contract?

There's a rumor on the firehouse.com forums that Ferarra was awarded the contract for 30 ladders

Bulldog

Bulldog
Interesting since there hasn't been any discussion about ladders going out for bid yet!  ::)

Bulldog said:
Interesting since there hasn't been any discussion about ladders going out for bid yet!  ::)

I think there going to customize them and wait untill production untill you here ladders going out on for bid's

FDNYE54 said:
Bulldog said:

I think there going to customize them and wait untill production untill you here ladders going out on for bid's

What? that makes no sense?

I would like to see some ALF ladders again.  Take a look at some of their designs at:

http://www.americanlafrance.com/interior.asp?n=5&p=0&s=5&x=4

Philadelphia has several ALF units - tillers, squirts and engines

Bulldog

Bulldog
FDNYE54 said:
First off, that's not legal based on the published open bidding standards New York and every other major city must abide by.  Secondly until a bid is issued nobody knows how many there will be or what specifications they will be built to.

We have quite a few ALF Engines & I'll have to agree with RPM; The FDNY workload will most likely wear out the ALFs really quick.

The only ALF that I know of is E34, and that has been replaced by a 2002 Seagrave.  The ALF then became a Governors Island Reserve Unit.

There's at least one more ALF:  the spare rescue that was activated as Rescue 6 for a few months several years ago. (Unless it, too has gone to never-never land).

raybrag said:
There's at least one more ALF:  the spare rescue that was activated as Rescue 6 for a few months several years ago. (Unless it, too has gone to never-never land).

currently rescue 3 was using it as of last sunday

FDNY did have several ALF Engines during the War Years Era. They were 1970s. There were actually two seperate models they bought. One model was a little longer than the other one. There were maybe 20 or 30 of them. In addition there were two very large Ladder Towers built by ALF. One at Lad 14, the other I believe Lad 163. Prior to that there were several ALF tractor trailer tillers. But the latest ALF was that Engine 34 and Reserve Rescue 6. Nothing else since that. 

The FDNY had 80 ALF pumpers delivered during the early 80's. Engine 65 got a lime green pumper the rest were red. Many Engine companies asked for there old macks back in lieu of a new ALF. They were gone as pretty quick from the FDNY, i think the years were 1980,81,82 and last was 83. 1984 the Mack Pumpers returned until 1992 when Seagrave came on board after Mack no longer made chassis. We do have 4 or 5 High Pressure Ferrara Pumpers in front line E-26,54 come to mind and i think E -258, not sure of others.

Yes mac8146, that"s Exactly what I was trying to say. I was only off by about 50-60 pumpers and a decade or so. Now that I made such a boo boo, I"m sure that old fart buddy of mine, johnd248, can"t wait to give me a beating. All kidding asside, mac8146, you"re exactly right. Thanks Guy.

If I'm not mistaken, neither of the latest ALFs were ordered by FDNY, but were donated after 9/11.  ALF does have a long history with FDNY, though.  Problem is, those old ALFs (700 series & older) were made by a totally different American LaFrance, which hasn't existed since the Elmira plant was closed in 1985.  Quality of ALFs began to slide when it was bought by A.T.O. in 1966, continued under Figgie International, and has never really recovered.  In my mind, the lowest point came in the early 70's with the "Pioneer", a REAL rust bucket (I know, I owned two of them, and they literally fell apart from the rust). It's almost as bad as the Ahrens Fox name showing up on HME pumpers now.

raybrag said:

The reserve Rescue that used to be Rescue-6 was built on a Freightliner chassy, Trust me anyone who orderes a LaFrance knowing what the situation is and the crap they have been puting out deserves what they will get

Those 80 ALF 1980 pumpers were not popular with some engine company chauffers and officers and were replaced with older 1979 Mack CF's after 1986 when the '79 Mack CF's were replaced with newer rigs.

Like anything else it's a shame to see how a company that was once so good at building fire apparatus can sink to such depths - but then again look at GM and Chrysler -we need to go back to basics - if it isn't broken don't fix it

Bulldog

Bulldog
Bring back the old blood and guts Macks!  They weren't as fancy as today's trucks but they kept on working no matter what.  The trucks of today wouldn't have survived the war years!