Ferrara fdny fire truck

Bulldog

Bulldog
Nice find, I don't think it's a scuba unit however because those normally have an enclosed area in the back of the divers to suit up in.  This one doesn't have that so I would guess it's for something else.

If you compare the rear body section of this truck to that of an LA county  FD Paramedic Squads, there are a number of similarities.

For those that do not know, LAcoFD uses trucks very similar in design to this, staffed by two paras, they treat but do not convey or transport to hospital, that is left to contract EMS who also respond.

Wandering if this is routing towards FDNY EMS perhaps. Just a thought.

JT

I don't think so. Not the with the double hitch that is wierd to have. And those paramedic units have shorter hieght on there bodies

Bulldog

Bulldog
Those hitches almost look like they are designed to use those portable winches that attach to hitches.  Maybe since NYPD is trying to take over FDNY duties, FDNY is ministering their own ESU unit!  ;D ;D ;D

Bulldog said:
Nice find, I don't think it's a scuba unit however because those normally have an enclosed area in the back of the divers to suit up in.  This one doesn't have that so I would guess it's for something else.

The FDNY SCUBA unit does not respond to emergency runs, they are solely for the training of the divers of the Rescue and Marine units.
The 5 Rescue Co are the only one's that do emergency responses for dive runs.?all the diver are getting suited up and ready in the back of the Rescue apparatus .The divers at Marine Opps are for doing maintenance on the boats.

During special events such as July 4th , Presidential or Pope visits, divers from the Rescue companies will be detailed to a Marine boat for the tour.  Yes , the Marine boats should have divers 24/7 or at lest during the summer time, It's a manning issue  $$$ but they don't have a man power to both operate the boat and perform a dive operation at the same time.

TLTruckie said:
Bulldog said:

The FDNY SCUBA unit does not respond to emergency runs, they are solely for the training of the divers of the Rescue and Marine units.
The 5 Rescue Co are the only one's that do emergency responses for dive runs.?all the diver are getting suited up and ready in the back of the Rescue apparatus .The divers at Marine Opps are for doing maintenance on the boats.

During special events such as July 4th , Presidential or Pope visits, divers from the Rescue companies will be detailed to a Marine boat for the tour.  Yes , the Marine boats should have divers 24/7 or at lest during the summer time, It's a manning issue  $$$ but they don't have a man power to both operate the boat and perform a dive operation at the same time.

I can tell you from watching it, seeing them suit up in the back of the rig is almost comical depending on the road conditions..

They should stop overbuying w/SOC rigs & concentrate on Engines & Trucks.

BCR

It wouldn't suprise me to see members from SOC respond with the scuba unit to support the two rescues if they are operating in the water, It seems there is a support truck for almost everything else !

The SCUBA unit is not staffed 24/7 or at SOC island ,so just staffing it with some members of SOC is not a option. And , yes these trucks are replacing one that where lost during Sandy.