FIRE ALARM BOXES

Will NYC get any of these $$ to address the faltering FDNY Alarm Box system..... most all they do now is repaint boxes some of which do not work..... ALBANY, N.Y. ? Funding has been awarded to 57 counties across the state to enhance emergency communication networks.

The 2019 Statewide Interoperable Communications Grant program allocated $45 million to nine Regional Communications Consortiums, which focus on improving emergency communications between counties, state and federal agencies.

Of that funding, Herkimer County will receive $678,591, Oneida County will receive $839,306 and Otsego County will receive $679,156.

"Emergency communication systems are crucial to ensuring the safety of every New Yorker, and we're always looking for the latest technology to transmit information fast in a time of crisis,? said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "This funding will enhance communication networks across the state and ensure that municipalities have the resources needed to improve emergency systems and operate efficiently."

Each county can submit applications to receive funding for infrastructure, equipment and technology upgrades. This includes installing new equipment at towerdis and antenna sites, implementing new 911 technologies, setting up communication channels on public safety radio systems, supporting dispatch centers and helping counties link systems together.

This funding also supports training and exercises to promote efficient interregional communications and cooperation among first responders.

The breakdown of who is getting how much.....

www.wktv.com/content/news/NY-grants-funds-to-improve-emergency-communications--565888811.html

Did anybody hear anything about the 9-11 call system being down in multiple States earlier Monday evening 9-28-2020 ...(i have no update so i don't know which States or if it is back up ? )....if it is or was down in NYC you are screwed if you live in Northeast QNS or many other NYC areas where the FDNY Alarm Boxes are not being maintained since the 2 tornadoes of 9-16-2010.....cell phones are not a reliable alternative !....this has been proven over
& over.... they just keep rolling the dice !... & we keep paying the taxes.

I'm trying to find out if a pull box across the street from my sister's house works. No one tried it the night of the fire but I've emailed the city about it with no response. I'd just like to know if its a working box good luck getting info.

^^^Try going to your local FH & explain your concerns (especially about your Sisters house).....when they are out they can notify the Dispatcher & then test it.

I've been noticing many more boxes "beheaded" or otherwise obviously out of service in the Seventh Battalion. Not a good sign.

I guess the current generation can't figure out a pull box because it doesn't have a touchscreen? A cell doesn't do much good when you're running out of the house that's burning and don't remember to grab it. Its a joke when there's either no box anymore or the one there may or may not work. When I was young there was no question it ALWAYS worked. All the "brilliant" planners think we're going forward but we're actually in reverse.

I agree that fire boxes are the best way to call the FD and should not be eliminated because of newer telephone communications. In large emergencies cell towers can be overloaded but the box alarm system is independent. Perhaps the FDNY needs to launch a public awareness campaign, as they do about so many other things, to alert the citizenry that the fire alarm box is the most accurate and reliable means to alert the FD. Maybe the campaign could be called "Know your Box".

I agree that fire boxes are the best way to call the FD and should not be eliminated because of newer telephone communications. In large emergencies cell towers can be overloaded but the box alarm system is independent. Perhaps the FDNY needs to launch a public awareness campaign, as they do about so many other things, to alert the citizenry that the fire alarm box is the most accurate and reliable means to alert the FD. Maybe the campaign could be called "Know your Box".

I don't disagree, but maybe they should get them all working before they promote their use? Chief JK has been ranting about out of service boxes for years . . . and he's right.

He's absolutely right. Strange how a city that spends millions to put up speed cameras for "safety" not revenue (of course) doesn't have money to invest in public safety for fire emergencies. When you look at the NYC Open Data map of working boxes, there are areas where there isn't a "working" box for maybe half a mile. You wonder many responses were delayed by someone having to call and take the time to give an address explain the conditions etc instead of pulling a handle and getting an immediate dispatch of the FD. But I guess that "old" technology isn't good enough.

I don't disagree, but maybe they should get them all working before they promote their use? Chief JK has been ranting about out of service boxes for years . . . and he's right.
Yes that certaily is true that maintenance comes before a public awareness campaign.

DOOR TO AN OLD PROBLEMATIC DOUBLE ACTION ALARM BOX (missing turn handle & the Box number plate)..... the problem with these was that when a person twisted the handle a bell would ring inside ( to alert people walking by that someone was pulling the Box).....if the person did not continue to open the door & reach inside & pull the hook down no Alarm was transmitted to the CO but the uninformed person may have thought the Alarm was sent & go no further.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-Door-...812270?hash=item4227fe336e:g:4-oAAOSwq~xf9Nds