Fire Bells

When I was growing up as a kid, all FDNY vehicles had BELLS.

When did they decide not to have bells anymore???????

Why?

I would assume cost would be a factor, as well as better sirens.

I miss the bells.  I remember Captain "Buddy" Fritz ringing the bell on E 274.  We lived very close to the firehouse, and he would ring it like crazy on a hot summers nite waking us up.

In my years riding with Engine 248, there was a rope that traveled to the back step; the bell was in the middle of the engine, in between the "mother-in-law" seats.  Since we rode the back step back then, we would ring the bell on the way back to quarters from a run.  No one ever paid attention to the bell, but is sounded good.  Whoever was on the right side of the back step got to pull the rope to ring the bell.  On many American LaFrance aerials, the bell was on the front bumper and was rung by the officer by pulling a rope that come up through the floor boards.

I guess John it was just tradition then to ring a bell on the way back to quarters. I grew up in Bridgeport, Ct and all the rigs had bells and would ring them going back. Other than that, I really don't think they were used for much else. And I guess when it came to saving a few dollars, that was the first place to make the cuts.

Just a few Great memories now.

Bells on fire apparatus were a holdover from the days of steam power. All steam engines (ships, locomotives) had bells as warning devices and so too they were included on steam fire engines. They complemented the steam whistle of the pumpers, which only worked when the boiler was fired while responding. Gongs were placed on ladder trucks, mounted on the front floorboard and operated by the chauffeur via a foot peddle.

In the days before radio communications (prior to the early 1950's) units were out of touch once they left quarters. They were required to return immediately and as fast as possible in order to "tap back" into service. The bells were used to clear traffic to get them home quickly. (No stopping at the supermarket for the evening meal or other nefarious events in those days.)

Sirens were introduced with motorized apparatus but the bells were used with them to respond and upon returning to quarters. Anyone old enough can remember
the bells clanging as a company approached an intersection. The floorboard gongs on the trucks were eventually replaced by a regular bells, usually mounted between the ladders of the trailer and rung by a man riding the sideboard. Since tractors were replaced more frequently it was cheaper to make them part of the trailers, which might remain in service for as long as 30 years.

Some early motorized rigs, like the 1929 Seagrave series hose wagons, had the bell mounted behind the cab. The men disliked this location as it rang in the officer's ear and literally made him tone deaf on a long run. Outside the cab on the officer's side was the standard (and favored) location on pumpers and hose wagons. Chief's cars had them mounted on the front of the vehicle.

Apparatus manufacturers used bells from different bell makers, each with distinctive tones. A knowledgeable buff could tell whether it was a Ward LaFrance, American LaFrance, Mack, or Ahrens Fox rig approaching merely by the sound of the bell.

The quality of the bells began to decline in the 1950's, probably as a cost factor. My opinion is that it was this decline as well as the air horn and radio communications that led to the disuse of the bells.

The CD pumpers had cheaper bells than the regular Wards of the time. The bells on the 1955 FWD wooden ladder trucks were awful. The worst were the 1959 (not 1958, which were just OK) Mack C95F series pumpers. It was smaller than anything before it. Mounted behind the bucket sets, it sounded like a tin can. My father was an officer at the time on one of those rigs and he just refused to use it. It was no longer needed returning to quarters as they were now on the radio, and he preferred the air horn (with siren) when responding.

By the War Years of the late 60's they just fell into disuse. By the 1970's they no longer came on the rigs from the manufacturer. Some companies still install them, more ornamental than anything else. L38 kept the bell from their last rig to come with one and have mounted it on each succeeding rig since. It is not used as a warning device.

At one time the sound of the bells, from the bell towers, to the telegraph bells, to the bells on the rigs, were synonymous with the FDNY. No more.

Thank you for stimulating the discussion.

BTW, Bridgeport was still ringing them into the 1980's, especailly on thsoe old L series Macks and ALF's.

mack

Administrator
Whistles - When my dad came into the job in the 1950's, some FDNY apparatus still had whistles as well as bells.  These were installed and used during the war years (World War II/early Cold War not the FDNY War Years) apparently to prevent citizens from fearing that an air raid siren was ringing. Companies responded with bell and whistle.   

I remember hearing whistles on the FDNY rigs. Most of my memories go back to seeing the old black and white TV News coverage of NYC fires and hearing those whistles. That goes back a few years. From my young kid days, the only dept that I remember hearing those whistles was the FDNY. I think that was before the Air Horns.

And Thanks 3511. I never knew why they rang those bells going back to the firehouse. Thanks there Guy. (Just one of the topics I'll talk about at my next Tea Party).

H & L 159 had an officer that loved the whistles.  The shops would remove it because they ran off of the exhaust manifold and would blow the mufflers. They could only be used when the gears were being shifted. Those transmissions had to be double clutched. That officer would remove it before the old 1948 Ward went to the shops and remount it when it came back.

I think they were called Buckeye exhaust whistles.  I seem to recall an article on how to fabricate them in an old old issue if WNYF.  Does anyone have it?

The buckeyes were used during WWII and the Korean War so that citizens would not confuse responding apparatus for the air raid sirens.

The old 1951 30 min. TV video that i have of ENG*58 & LAD*26 working in Harlem when they were still in the old Quarters has a lot of Buckeye action....hopefully someday i will get it on here....i have a new photo program but still sorting it out.

68jk09 said:
The old 1951 30 min. TV video that i have of ENG*58 & LAD*26 working in Harlem when they were still in the old Quarters has a lot of Buckeye action....hopefully someday i will get it on here....i have a new photo program but still sorting it out.

Chief J.K., I would sure like to see that 1951 TV Video of Eng 58 and Lad 26. I've never seen it.