Fire Rescue - Police Rescue

FD and PD both have rescue squads and also HazMat units.
Am I right they do same jobs ( except fire jobs ) ?

How did this happen and how is dispatch organised so that not both police and fire dept. respond to an incident and 'fight' to do the job ?

Petey said:
FD and PD both have rescue squads and also HazMat units.
Am I right they do same jobs ( except fire jobs ) ?

How did this happen and how is dispatch organised so that not both police and fire dept. respond to an incident and 'fight' to do the job ?

"I'm not touching this one". We need the Real Pros to Explain this !!!!

Petey said:
how is dispatch organised so that not both police and fire dept. respond to an incident and 'fight' to do the job ?

It's not  ::)

Please control dispatch so they control when FD is notified. Usually much later then their ESU.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Now that we have UCT it kind of a mute point.  Since they work for the police department will do you think gets dispatched first?  Of course when the going gets tough the NYPD units call for the FDNY!  They only want the visibility.  It certainly looks like a place where savings can be made without cutting services.  As far as I know they are the only police department that has these functions. 

I do not think that NYPD is in the HAZMAT business.  A few years ago there was a big dispute over who had juristiction in several different types of activities.  NYPD won out because, as I believe, the Mayor has ultimate faith and trust in Ray Kelly. However, FDNY was the lead agency for HAZMAT.  Recall that I posted a picture from Ferrara of a new MTA HazMat vehicle.  Maybe its primarily for the MTA areas outside of the city.   

I imagine water rescue's must get interesting at times. I know all involved just want to make a save but I assume ego's get involved. It seems sometimes FD is notified of water jobs and other times not. I even heard stories over the years of divers getting in minor disputes from the different agencies.

Maybe the police should stick to law enforcement? I do not want to go on bank robberies, burglaries etc. What's up with them?

rdm258 got it right when he mentioned egos, that may be the biggest problem.

vbcapt said:
Maybe the police should stick to law enforcement? I do not want to go on bank robberies, burglaries etc. What's up with them?

rdm258 got it right when he mentioned egos, that may be the biggest problem.

"vbcapt" you are correct. There is plenty of Police work out there for All of "The Finest" (NYPD) to handle. The EDPs, Bridge Jumpers, plus the Homeland Security/Terriorest Duties. About the only area where I feel the NYPD might be involved is maybe Water Rescue. And I say that only because the NYPD has helicopters where they can drop two scuba divers into the water from directly above the incident. But certainly it should be the FDNYs job to do extracition from MVAs etc.

S

smokeeater06

most nypd esu were just guys who couldn't become firemen    ;D

Are these police officers only assigned to these (rescue)tasks of are they also catching thieves and others criminals?

Officers assigned to ESU are still police officers and perform the duties of police officers. Besides the rescue side of their job, they also perform what other police depts call "SWAT". To be assigned to ESU, an officer has to have a specialty skill such as welding or in the case of my buddy who was in ESU, spent time in the Transit PD and had knowledge of the subways. As is the FDNY Rescue Companies, ESU is not an easy assignment to get. The large rescue vehicle that the ESU units use carries a lot of gear for their SWAT duties that won't be found on an FDNY rescue vehicle.  

They should become just swat and worry about more of that stuff in this time of terrorism.
ESU is primary on hazmat if is thought to be terrorism. i think.

fdce54 said:
Officers assigned to ESU are still police officers and perform the duties of police officers. Besides the rescue side of their job, they also perform what other police depts call "SWAT". To be assigned to ESU, an officer has to have a specialty skill such as welding or in the case of my buddy who was in ESU, spent time in the Transit PD and had knowledge of the subways. As is the FDNY Rescue Companies, ESU is not an easy assignment to get. The large rescue vehicle that the ESU units use carries a lot of gear for their SWAT duties that won't be found on an FDNY rescue vehicle.  

You do not need skills to get into ESU. You need a :

http://www.castawaylakes.com/D84Z.html

or

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=my-myy&va=rabbi&sz=all

New York City is the only major city that allows cops to go out and play fireman.

Only in NYC wil you see cops operating at building/scaffolding collapse, car accidents, Haz Mat, etc.

Duplication of services and a tremendous waste of taxpayer money.