Fireboat Firefighter Museum

There has been a lot of specutlation about what is to become of the Fireboat Firefighter.
Many in the dept do not know the boat is a National Historic Landmark.
http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natregsearchresult.do?fullresult=true&recordid=13e
So as such, the FDNY Marine Div has decided to place this boat in the hands of a group of
marine restorationists, Our plan is to make the boat a traveling display honoring the men who served on her.
We plan to bring her back to her glory colors to stand out from the other boats in the harbor.
In the weeks ahead we will have a volunteer meeting , most likely at the boat in the yard.
So if you love the boat like many in the dept do, please drop me a line so we can chat.
If you have any pics of the boat in action or just crusing the harbor, please let me know.
I can provide references in the FDNY to verify who I am.
Any questions please you can post or Email.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Are the Firefighter and the John J Harvey (which is also privately owned and maintained) going to become part of the same organization or two completely different organizations competing for resources?  It looks like the mission of both is basically the same.

Thanks for your comments.
In answer to your question
We are setting up a non profit museum to run the project. The Harvey is not an historic vessel.
As an historic vessel, you go to the top of the list for grants and govt funding.
We will be setting up an on-board museum, have programing that includes FDNY, and other non profit type org's that
We feel that will benefit from being on the firefighter.

A month later and we are still alive. We have sent in the request for museum status to the State Dept of Education and its in the review process.
We had a very positive meeting with Chief of the Marine Div.
Things are looking good keep the boat plying the waters of NY harbor.
We hope to soon have an open house at the boat and gather new members.
Any questions, Please feel free to Email me.
Thanks
Jeff

While doing some research for the Fireboat Firefighter,  found a very interesting fact that many are not aware of.
A commen well known fact the Firefighter was designed by Francis Gibbs, a famed navel architect who designed 70% of WWII warships. What most members don't know is that he designed the Superpumper and its system of tenders. At the time, it was and most likely still is the most powerful fire engine in the world.
It was called a fireboat on wheels.
It is a shame NY sold it off. I saw the spare engine for sale somewhere, big bucks most likely.

As a comparison, the Fire Fighter could operate at 20,000 GPM at 150 PSI, while the Super Pumper could operate at 8800 GPM at 350 PSI when in parallel operation or 4400 GPM at 700 PSI in series operation. 8) :)