Firefighters run into venomous snakes

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
SAND SPRINGS, Okla. – Firefighters are known for running into burning buildings often disregarding their own safety. But this time the building was packed with venomous snakes.

That was the dilemma faced by an Oklahoma fire department on this past Monday.

“We just saw a ton of black smoke,” neighbor Grant Fitz said.

It’s not something people expect to see on a fun snow day with the family.

Fitz said he owns a large piece of property near the scene, and he said he uses the drone to check on the land and spot some deer. But he was able to get some of the first images of the flames.

“My first concern was, well, is it a house or, or is everybody OK?” Fitz said.

According to fire officials, yes, everyone is OK.

There were no injuries to the people living at the property, but the snakes were another story.

“We’ve saved quite a few, but there’s still a few in there that are pretty venomous,” said Mike Nobles, fire marshal with Sand Springs Fire Rescue.

Nobles said two snakes died in the fire.

He described the investigation and negotiating the space with the snakes.

“I’m on hands and knees for a lot of it, so not knowing exactly where a couple of the venomous snakes were located in the house at that time made it a little dangerous to be in there,” Nobles said.

“As soon as I heard poisonous snakes, my first thought was like, why are we keeping poisonous snakes, Right? I mean, snakes are fine and all. But we don’t need more poisonous snakes,” Fitz said.

There were attempts to contact the homeowner, but their identity could not be confirmed. When the site was visited this afternoon multiple no trespassing signs discouraged people from knocking on the door.

“But I’ve never seen a fire that big, that close myself,” Fitz said.

He said he’s glad the snakes didn’t slither to his home.