Fleet Week 2011: The Return of the USS New York

I am planning on going to staten island for both the parade of ships and to take a tour of the USS New York. This will be my first time photographing the parade of ships so I'm not quite sure where to go. I think it would have to be somewhere near the foot if the Verrazano. Can anybody help out? I do plan on bringing my 30D with 70-200 f4L...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Head to Fort Wadsworth - follow signs to visitors center - Park there - south side of parking lot, close to the VZ bridge & walk toward the water area. You will be above the ships as the come in crossing under the VZ.  Not too many people there last year. Good Luck! Its a tatally different view.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Keep an eye toward the sky because weather permitting that is a 1911 aircraft that came in to NYC on Friday that is hoping to fly over the fleet tomorrow as it enters the harbor. The aircraft is due to fly on Tues & again on Thurs. Sorry to say, I do not have the take off time, it will be based on the weather.

Thanks a lot for all the information. Battery charging, lens mounted, card cleared off and I am ready to go. I'm also thinking of von briesen or Buono Beach as locations to view it. Is Fort Wadsworth the best spot?

Anybody know where the FDNY vessels will be during this? Would be great to catch either Firefighter II or 343.