Heavy-Duty Rescue Tiller 12/13/2012

2 vehicles that should be considered by the FDNY....The 1st (pictured) the Tillered Rescue rig w/crane in place of an Aerial certainly would have manuverability ...ample compartments ...the crane ...the only drawback would be the limited interior space for the crew as opposed to the present Rescue rigs......the 2nd (not pictured) Tillered Rescue rig w/Aerial would be excellent for FDNY Soc Support Lads.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I read the article about the tillered crane but was extremely disappointed by the lack of actual information.  It would be nice to know what the actual capacity of the crane is and how far it can reach.  It seems kind of like a very expensive piece of equipment was limited application.

mack

Administrator
Oceanside CA Ladder 7 Pierce 100 Ft:

Orange City CA Squad 6- Tractor Heavy Rescue:

Eden PA - Ladder Rescue:

68jk09 said:
2 vehicles that should be considered by the FDNY....The 1st (pictured) the Tillered Rescue rig w/crane in place of an Aerial certainly would have manuverability ...ample compartments ...the crane ...the only drawback would be the limited interior space for the crew as opposed to the present Rescue rigs......the 2nd (not pictured) Tillered Rescue rig w/Aerial would be excellent for FDNY Soc Support Lads.

I actually suggested the concept of a tillered collapse rig when I was on the job. I was told that my suggestion was bounced off the chief and shot down but not before the messenger received a raised eyebrow ... Was I too far ahead with my thinking?

How high up was the Chief ?.....somebody should have raised their eyebrows before the purchase of the monster truck Chiefs rigs of today......many years ago the Shops had constructed a "Relay Hose Wagon" that was made from a Tiller Rig /w the Aerial removed.....there was a picture of it floating around ....anybody ?

Hey Jim, (H&L147): Is there anything you do not have access to??? Nice find with that picture!

John
If it's in south Brooklyn or it is a Tiller or in Flatbush or East Flatbush  or its in a book about FDNY chances are I will find it. Once its in the blood its there forever.
Jim

I understand Portland needing that rig for earthquakes, but there are definitely some great uses the FDNY could have for a crane based rig. I would even think something like a rotator wrecker would be a great tool for the FDNY when they need a new heavy duty wrecker for FSD. Could use the boom on that for aiding with collapses and still have full functionality for towing broken down Ferrara ladders.

Len90 said:
I understand Portland needing that rig for earthquakes, but there are definitely some great uses the FDNY could have for a crane based rig. I would even think something like a rotator wrecker would be a great tool for the FDNY when they need a new heavy duty wrecker for FSD. Could use the boom on that for aiding with collapses and still have full functionality for towing broken down Ferrara ladders.
  Towing broken down Ferrara ladders you say?  ;D ;)