Highway response unit

BCR

It carries a hurst tool setup, air bag set, other extrication Equiptment / forcible entry Equiptment, I think they have a couple extinguishers, SCBA for 3, some cribbing. I can't remember the highway(s) that they were designed for but the short story is the truck company's were to heavy for the bridge. The officer and two ff's respond to the incident and the chauffeur and remaining ff's stage off the highway in the truck. I'm not sure if there are any highway support units still in service

I believe L 170 also uses one for the Belt Pkwy. and hwy response units also were used on the FDR Dr. I don't know if that's still the case.

Bulldog

Bulldog
memory master said:
Wasn't there a unit quartered at E16/L7 for the East River Drive (or FDR Drive)?
There used to be two FDR Response Units, now there's only one running out of the quarters of E22/TL13/B10 on the Upper East Side.

Bulldog they are actually used a lot. I would probably say on average a few times a week.

BCR

One of those gmc units was transferred to SOC and is labeled as a Special Operations Command Support Unit. Fdr 1&2 are different than the highway support units, the highway support units are on the truck for the truck company's I believe the fdr units are geared toward the engine side ??

Bulldog

Bulldog
MP1234 said:
Bulldog they are actually used a lot. I would probably say on average a few times a week.
That's not very much compared to the Engines, Rescues and Trucks which run upwards of 10 or more runs per day on average.

Yes def not as much as the regular units. Just compared to other units 2nd pieces these are used quite a bit. Also it's usually the boss and one firefighter in the HRU and the other truck firefighter rides in the engine. That's how one of the units does it because of the tight space in the HRU.

BCR

So I checked out my operational reference guide. Info as follows
FDR Drive - because of weight limitations a light weight vehicle is used in place of an Engine Company to respond to fires and emergencies on portions of the FDR in manhattan. The FDR response vehicle at Engine 22 is a Ford F-450 flatbed with a removable Salsbury brush fire module. A second unit at engine 16 was de-activated in April of 2001. No backup company is designated.

Belt Parkway - Highway Response Vehicles (HRV) are in service with TL 159 and TL 170 because of weight restrictions on the Belt PKWY at the Paerdegat Bridge. The company officer and two firefighters respond with the HRV, the ladder does not enter the PKWY. Each utility type truck is equipped with Hurst and Rabbit Tools, Sawzall and Air chisel, partner saw, forceable entry tools, extinguishers, air bags and cribbing, stokes basket, 5kw generator and lights and three SCBA masks.

FDR Response Vehicle is a 1995 Ford F-450 with a Salsbury Brush Fire Module with a Shop Number of FM 9535 the unit retired in 2001 was identical.

The HRV's were originally 2000 GMC Sierra 3500HD's with Reading Body's, One is still serving as a SOC support unit, I am not sure if only HRV 159 is the only one in service or if HRV 170 was replaced by a Ford F-450 same set up as a SSL or CPC type vehicle. HRV 170 shop number GM 00020 is the one that was transferred to SOC to serve as  support unit.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Buff9663 said:
A friend of mine who is a dispatcher told me the BFU is now a FDR unit.
With the shortage of BFU's it's certainly surprising they would pull one of them for this duty or did you mean it the other way around in that one of the FDR units is now operating as a BFU?

Bailey read what BCR put up and that will tell you which ones are in operations?