Hose Wagons & 2-Piece Engine Cos.

tl-ff said:
Eastern District High School no longer exists, It was so bad wit shootings and stabbings on a weekly basis the city closed it. Now it's home to 4 charter schools and it's new name is the Grand Street Campus.
......Another NYC crime/shame... more smoke & mirrors by those entrusted to keep the status quo & i do not mean the school personell but rather the mayor & schools chancellor etc. 

For those wondering where the term "wagons" originated, back in the horse drawn era generally all engine companies were "two-piece" companies. They were composed of the horse-drawn steam engine (or pumper) with a separate piece, known as the wagon, that carried the hose (loaded much as it is today) and most personnel but no pumps. The steamer would connect at a hydrant and the wagon usually stretch the line to the fire where the company would operate.

In modern motorized times wagons with hose capacity but no pumps were usually replaced with a second pumper, in some cases a second-line piece or in others the Engine Company's former, older pumper.  Many departments did away with the two piece concept by the 1980s.

Another related use of the term "wagon" was with the Fire Patrol.  I understand their rigs were referred to as wagons until the very end in 2006.

Engine10wagon_zps80fc7297.png

Photo of Engine 10's wagon is attached.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
You guys forgot about Eng 52 & 70 running a second piece as a hose wagon. I think 70 has a hose wagon up until they were made a Combo Company. 52 had their because of a lack of fire hydrants in their response area.