How do EMS Callsigns work?

Finally made an account to make posts!
This might be a bit of a noob question, how do EMS Callsigns work in FDNY EMS?
I know they have BLS Units, ALS Units, the UTVs, and many other types of units, but I can't find any clear system that I can make sense of to distinguish different EMS units. Also, what do Rescue Medics, HazTac Medics, LTs/Capts, and Chiefs in FDNY EMS use?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I know they have BLS Units, ALS Units, the UTVs, and many other types of units, but I can't find any clear system that I can make sense of to distinguish different EMS units. Also, what do Rescue Medics, HazTac Medics, LTs/Capts, and Chiefs in FDNY EMS use?
Welcome aboard!!!

(XX Meaning a number)

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I, J, K, L, M, N, O - BLS
H - BLS HAZTAC
P & Q - BLS gators

S, T, U, V, W, X, Y - ALS
R - Rescue Medic
Z - ALS HAZTAC

So an BLS Ambulance would could be XX Adam
Lieutenants come over as Conditions XX
Captains come over as Battalion XX.

For Special Units this is what ive heard
MERV - MERV
MR - MRTU
LS - LSU
Don't know what the METU or WMD Units come over as.

For Chiefs they use Car Designations
Car 531 would be one of usually five Deputy Chiefs in the 3rd Division.
Car 54 would be the Division Chief of the 4th Division.
Car 5S would be the Deputy Assistant Chief of EMS Citywide South Operations (Divisions 3, 5 & 8.)
Division Captains usually aren't on the air from what I've seen but would go over as Division X Captain.

Haztac bosses come over as Haztac X (1,2,3)

To my understanding, this should be the most updated but someone else that's actually on the job could probably confirm.

(XX Meaning a number)

H - BLS HAZTAC
P & Q - BLS gators

R - Rescue Medic
Z - ALS HAZTAC

MERV - MERV
MR - MRTU
LS - LSU

Car 5S would be the Deputy Assistant Chief of EMS Citywide South Operations (Divisions 3, 5 & 8.)
Division Captains usually aren't on the air from what I've seen but would go over as Division X Captain.

To my understanding, this should be the most updated but someone else that's actually on the job could probably confirm.
Thank you! That's lots of help, what's the difference between Division Captains, and Captains calling as battalions?
And what's the "XX" is that the station number?

Thank you! That's lots of help, what's the difference between Division Captains, and Captains calling as battalions?
In all honesty I have no idea what a Division Captain does.

XX is a Station Number, Yes.

XX is the battalion where the unit is assigned. Usually the station number but not always. For example Conditions 11 comes out of Station 10, as there is no Station 11. Also most ambulances are assigned to different battalion than their station, for example 10 Henry was the only 10 ambulance out of Station 10, the rest were assigned in the 11th or 12th battalion.

Also now we have Paramedic Response Units which are inverse. Speciality units became ZXX or RXX, while line units became P(paramedic)XX.

XX is the battalion where the unit is assigned. Usually the station number but not always. For example Conditions 11 comes out of Station 10, as there is no Station 11. Also most ambulances are assigned to different battalion than their station, for example 10 Henry was the only 10 ambulance out of Station 10, the rest were assigned in the 11th or 12th battalion.

Also now we have Paramedic Response Units which are inverse. Speciality units became ZXX or RXX, while line units became P(paramedic)XX.
Oh, okay, is there a link or list somewhere of what the different EMS Battalions & Divisions are and what stations are in each?
And while doing a bit more of a search, I came across a few EMS vehicles saying EMS X Div on the side, what rank(s) uses these? And are their designators just 'Division X'?

Oh, okay, is there a link or list somewhere of what the different EMS Battalions & Divisions are and what stations are in each?
And while doing a bit more of a search, I came across a few EMS vehicles saying EMS X Div on the side, what rank(s) uses these? And are their designators just 'Division X'?
The FDNY Operational Reference has a decent list, but somewhat out of date.

Regarding the Division assets it depends for example the messenger vans are driven by EMTs while the cars are usually Chiefs.

It's 5 years old, so I don't know how current it is, but here's a list that our member "Signal73" put together:

It's 5 years old, so I don't know how current it is, but here's a list that our member "Signal73" put together:

Not super current, but it gives a newbie a good glimpse

Read the Below:

Kinda late reply but welcome to NYCFire.net

Side question non relating to this topic, but how did the term "Conditions" come around?

The Lt's radio designation used to be XX Patrol. Now it's Conditions, I guess to the numerous situations that they respond to.

Comes from the days before the merger when we were somewhat modeled after the NYPD and still using NYPD type language. I’m surprised the term “Conditions” has lasted as long as it has. And yes they used to be called “Patrol Supervisors” . The station located at Lincoln Hospital (currently known as Station 14) was Station 21 before the merger and the supervisor used the 21 PATROL designation.

(XX Meaning a number)

H - BLS HAZTAC
P & Q - BLS gators

R - Rescue Medic
Z - ALS HAZTAC

MERV - MERV
MR - MRTU
LS - LSU

Pretty spot on. The METU would be MExx and the WMD would be WMD alpha or bravo