How do I Thank Him ?

Today is Memorial Day. For most it is a day of rest and relaxation. A day of cookouts, BBQs, parades, or maybe a trip to the beach.

The real reason for Memorial Day is often forgotten. It is a day to give thanks to all those who gave so much to Our Country. So that we can be free to do as we please. Many other countries don't have the Freedom that we have and so often take for granted. But Freedom is NOT Free. It comes with a very high price andI don't mean dollars and cents.

The other day while standing in line at the grocery store there was a young guy with only one arm. We got talking because I was wearing a T-shirt of the Norwich Fire Dept that my good buddy, Capt Stuie Carter gave me. The guy said to me that he would have liked to have gotten on the fire dept but couldn't because he had lost his arm. Of course I asked him what happened and he told me he lost it in Iraq.

HOW DO YOU THANK SOMEBODY LIKE THAT ? He lost his arm for us. I guess he thought I was some kind of hero because I told him I was a retired firefighter. Wow, I wonder if he knows who the Real Hero is. He lost his entire left arm. Talk about a hero.....

He lost his arm. Others lost a leg, some were burned. And others didn't make it to come home.

I am NOT a Vetern. In my generation it was the Viet Nam War. I was lucky and didn't have to go. But I lost a friend who I went to school with. Another friend came back not quite the same. He wasn't the same great, funny guy, I once knew. He came back using drugs and alcohol and I just don't know what happened to him after that.

I worked with many Viet Nam Vets. One of my best friends and Excellent firefighter was Ray Benoit. Ray only talked to a few guys about his Viet Nam days. He told me how he was shot in the leg in the femoral artery and came close to dying. He said one of the guys saved his life by stopping the bleeding.

How do you Thank someone like that. And what about all the other Wars. Korea, WWI, WWII, and todays Afganstain. All we can do is Honor Them.

So remember what today is really all about. Its to honor those like I talked about here. Many Never came home to tell their story. We will just never know the sacrafices and the suffering they have given so we can be free.

Thanksgiving Day is a day that we are thankful for what we have.
  Memorial Day is a day that we give thanks to the people, for what we have.

THANK YOU to ALL the Veterens of the Unted States of America.

A very big debt of gratitude is owed to these men and women, not just today but every day. There was a soldier in the convenience store purchasing coffee and a roll this morning. I told him his money was no good here and thanked him for what he has done. I wish I and all citizens of this great Country could do a hell of lot more for these heroes. God rest those who have not come home and bless all who serve and have served in our armed forces.

As a vet, what you did will always stick in his mind, coffee and a roll, 2.50, memory priceless. (Borrowed from MC ad). GG

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Just say "THANK YOU" to a vet & they will understand the rest of the message. When I was in the AF I worked with officers & NCO's who had served in WWII & beyond. A few would speak about what is was like for them. Remember back then most of them were all junior grade personnel.

When my unit was deactivated, I switched over to the base fire-rescue unit. One of the Asst Chief's was very quite about his background. It was not until I was out of the service & our paths had crosssed some 40 years later that I found out that this man had taken lead while landing on Omaha Beach. He never spoke about it, like most of the other guys who served during that time period. He did not even want his VA benifits his wife told me. It was his way of giving back to what America had done for him & his family.

Another officer who I had spent some time with as a Lieut afterwards spent over five years in the "Hilton" as a POW. I watched the day as he walked off the plane in Newburgh, NY (Steward AFB) & could not beleive my eyes. Other members of the unit I was in, never returned & are still listed as MIA's.

Some others came home in wooden boxes. I often wonder what has become of their families.
Today I support a facility in Calif that helps the wifes & children of fallen Air Force personnel. For these are the people who really suffer in the long run, in most cases ofter forgotten, & not properly supported.

Yesterday, a young male, college age, made a delivery to my home. I told him that a would double his tip if he could name this holiday & the reason behind it. He knew the name, but had no idea while it is considered a major holiday. Yes, he got his normal tip!

I agree with Atlas. We signed on for the deal knowing full well the consequences. All any vet wants is a handshake and a  simple "thanks" In reality we did it for you, would you do it for us??