International Fire Buffs Associates Convention

Save the dates.  August 16 to August 20,2016,  for the International Fire Buffs Associates Convention in New Orleans at the Doubletree on Canal St. downtown.  Within walking distance of the French Quarter, Jackson Square and Riverwalk.  Normal rates are $269.00 per night.  For the IFBA the rate is $129.00.

New Orleans has an intersting, very busy and friendly fire department and what better place to party and network than the "Big Easy".  Follow the IBFA web site for additional details that should be forthcoming in late March.

Happy New year, Safe buffing and looking forward to seeing many NYC Fire members in the Cresent City in August.

Stand by and I will get you the info in a few days.  It will help me if I knew generally where you live. With that info I may be able to save you a few bucks.  Also I do believe you can attend the convention, at least the events--not the meetings--even if you are not a member.

Hope you can make it.  It is a great opportunity to hang out with people of similar interest, swap stories and compare experiences.

I know they met in Connecticut last year. I know they visited many departments and the day I stopped by they were in New Haven at their Fire Academy. New Haven FD rolled out the carpet for them as well as many other departments and buffs bringing over their apparatus for photo shots and to answer questions.

A few members from this site were there also. I guess they finished their week with buffing a big job in a old factory in Waterbury.

Seemed like a good group of guys - the entire busload.

Well Willy I expect to see you in New Orleans in August.

I was in Providence the day they went to New Haven, but I did take in the fire in Waterbury and a second alarm in 15's first due in Hartford.

Stay safe.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago, you had to be in a local buff group who was part of the International Buff Association. I do not if that has changed.

Years ago there were a batch of buff groups/clubs in NYC.  And most were members of the IFBA.  One remaining club is the Fire Bell Club, and I'm not sure if they were ever affiliated with IFBA. The NY Firemen's Cycle Club, organized in 1896 still is active

In Manhattan the Third Alarm Assn, (TAA)  also operated the Red Cross canteen, I believe.
I don't know if the TAA canteen served the Bronx, or maybe another organization did. 
Was there a club in the Bronx? Atlas should be able to tell us.
In Brooklyn the 255 Club also operated a Red Cross canteen.
The 77 Club in Brooklyn was in IFBA, but with no canteen connection.
The 88 Club of Staten Island may have been in IFBA, and also operated a canteen (affiliated with _____?)
Some canteens here and there were run by Salvation Army, and may have been affiliated with local buff clubs
There was a canteen housed at the quarters of Engine 287 in Queens, I have no idea who operated it.
The New York clubs affiliated with the Red Cross also provided services for residents displaced by fires.

Probably the last nearby buff groups affiliated with IFBA are the Gong Club in Jersey City, and the Bell and Siren Club in Newark.  They both operate canteens, and the Newark Group also operated the NFD Department Ambulance through the 1950s.  Some other buff groups around the country operate Rehab Units similar to FDNY RACs.

Fire Bell Club is associated with the IFBA.  The Bell and Siren Club and the Gong Club are very active. I will provide additional information later  ‪this week. Joining one of the clubs will automatically give you membership in the IFBA.  Individual membership to the IFBA is available at a reasonable cost, but there are numerous steps to complete.

It would be possible to have a get together of NYCFIRE.net members during the event.

There was also the 6-6 Club in Manhattan. I don't believe they were affiliated with the IFBA.

soda-acid said:
There was also the 6-6 Club in Manhattan. I don't believe they were affiliated with the IFBA.
They published a paperback alarm box directory in the early '60s...all the books were numbered & they made updates available .....Brian Mulhern from the NYPD was one of the publishers.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I still have one of their box books.  It had a lite blue cover & thin. Then in 1992 another box book was published.

Upstate as in the Buffalo area or further east.  If you are near Buffalo, Toronto has two very active clubs with some really gung ho and friendly members. 

I have not forgotten you, but my computer was ill and I work the next two days, so it will be Friday or the weeked before I get you some solid info.

MM

Alrighty

As best as I figure there is no IFBA club in the Syracuse area.  However, Syracuse is the home of Spaamfaa and Spaamfaa is a member of the IFBA.  The local chapter is the Belle Isle Reserve Fire Company at PO Box 2433 Syracuse NY 13226-2433.  The contact is Patrick Gannon and his email is patsfdo1@aol.com.  So if you contact them and join up, by osmosis you become a member of the IFBA. 

There is also a process for Associate Membership in the IFBA.  I would suggest you go on line to the IFBA website to get particulars on that.

Hope all is well in Syracuse.  The department I retired from hired a good number of people from the Syracuse area and they all have turned out to be excellent firefighters and people.  For whatever reason, the guys from that area seemed to be a step ahead of many of the local applicants.

Hope to see and many others from NYC Fires in New Orleans in August.

MM

Plans are being finalized and a great program seems about to be revealed.  One of the best parts of this years convention will be time to let attendees do other things in the Crescent City.  Rather than full days of "buffing" type bus trips, 1/2 to 2/3 day visits will be made to area fire departments and other significant locations.  That will give conventioneers time to explore this great city either at tourist sites or a local departments or both. 

The hotel is undergoing a complete remake and could not be located in a better location.  Certainly a worker a block from the hotel (last night at 2230) cannot be promised but within two blocks of the hotel you will feel like you are in Times Square.

Mark your calendars and keep on eye this website for details within the month.  Come one---come all.

Maxim

8)

Big news coming regarding the IFBA Convention, pricing and schedue have been finialized and should be posted on teh Dallas Box 4 site very very soon.

I will keep yoiu posted.

Rooms are going fast and most folks are planning on bringing their "other/better" halves.

MM 8)

Schedule

Wednesday August 17
      0900 Opening Ceremony at Double Tree hotel
      1000 Chief Stone St. Bernard FD with a Hurricane Katrina Presentatioin

Wednesday the 17 in the afternoon will be the business meeting

Thursday August 18
    0830 Bus tours of  New Orleans EMS
              NOFD's newest Station  E-39
              Lower 9th Ward tour
              Alternating tours of the NOFD Museum and and 911 Center

Friday August 19
      0830  Bus tours
                Gretna Fire Museum
                David Crockett VFD, oldest operating VFD in USA
                Jefferson Parish EOC

Saturday August 20
    0830  Bus tours  with photo ops for NOLA apparatus
              Afternoon tour of fire stations and venues of interest.    May even be some photo op's for ships, trains and Mardi Gras floats.

Breakfast each will be at the hotel---2 free breakfasts per room per day
Box or other style lunches will be provided free during bus tours.

There will be a banquet Saturday night at the Double Tree

At the suggestions of the IFBA membership, bus tours will end back at the hotel around 1400.  this will leave plenty of time to visit everything that New Orleans has to offer.  Afternoon buffing arrangements can be made with your fellow buffs.  Supper each evening is on your own, and that is the best way for everyone to same the many cuisines of The Big Easy.

All this for the great price of $325.00, however if you register prior to 7/1/2016 you will get a $25.00 discount and a custom made Tee Shirt.

All details and the registration form is available at the IFBA website.

Also at the website is the hotel code for your discounted hotel rates.  Hurry because I understand the "blocked" rooms are selling out fast and the renovation of the hotel is well underway.

Hope to see, meet and network with many of yo in "Norlins" this summer