July 4th, 1993 Video

B

Bigandy

I was wondering the same thing. If they got pulled over what do you think they would say or do? I remember reading something on this forum saying some guys had badges or some kind of identification that would give them a little lee way. Nowadays you'd probably be arrested for impersonation of some kind of emergency service, I would assume.

Turk132, sounds like you had a great time on the job in a very busy company. Thanks.

This building had a fire a year or two before this fire which resulted in a brother from L33 and one from L56 receiving medals for seperate rescues.

You mean they are not part of the City while they were driving like that!!!!

That's precisely the behavior I encountered on my one & only buff trip in NJ.

Great video!  I wish we could find more of these from the early 90's.  That was when I was finally old enough to start buffing jobs and chasing after those old Mack engines and towers.

Back in the mid to late 60's, and early 70's there was more than one "Buffmobile" being used. I remember two in particular, one operated by a guy who became a city cop, and another used by a civilian PD photographer who would sell pictures to various news outlets. The vehicles themselves were either former NYPD cars, bought at auction, or ordered new with NYPD police package specs. They were outfitted identical to city cars down to decals on the front side windows warning against carbon monoxide poisoning if the windows were not cracked open. If you looked inside, you would find a radio control head, with handset, as well as an appropriate assortment of FD/PD paraphernalia to complete the package. Also, the only warning light used was a red Federal Fireball, and all the cars had one. Sirens were mechanical models, a Federal 28, mounted under the hood. Back then, hand held radios were not common, and anyone so equipped was assumed to be "on the job". And even those radios were adapted to project the proper image, with rubber antennas replacing metal collapsible ones, and properly marked Motorola cases used to carry them. Also, with so many different police commands operating in these areas, it was easy to blend in if you looked and acted like you were official. Most of the cops in the South Bronx, and other similar areas had more than they could handle, and couldn't care less about some guy at a fire. Also, most buffs had some sort of badge, either issued by the department, or personally acquired. It wasn't difficult to order one similar to those used by the FDNY, and with the proper display, no one knew who you were or questioned your being past the fire lines.  Those were some times, you knew it was going to be a record night when you wrote off going to All Hands, and waited for at least a second or third, which you knew would only be a short time coming. The radio never stopped, and running on weekends went through night.

Disp51 said:
Back in the mid to late 60's, and early 70's there was more than one "Buffmobile" being used. I remember two in particular, one operated by a guy who became a city cop, and another used by a civilian PD photographer who would sell pictures to various news outlets. The vehicles themselves were either former NYPD cars, bought at auction, or ordered new with NYPD police package specs. They were outfitted identical to city cars down to decals on the front side windows warning against carbon monoxide poisoning if the windows were not cracked open. If you looked inside, you would find a radio control head, with handset, as well as an appropriate assortment of FD/PD paraphernalia to complete the package. Also, the only warning light used was a red Federal Fireball, and all the cars had one. Sirens were mechanical models, a Federal 28, mounted under the hood. Back then, hand held radios were not common, and anyone so equipped was assumed to be "on the job". And even those radios were adapted to project the proper image, with rubber antennas replacing metal collapsible ones, and properly marked Motorola cases used to carry them. Also, with so many different police commands operating in these areas, it was easy to blend in if you looked and acted like you were official. Most of the cops in the South Bronx, and other similar areas had more than they could handle, and couldn't care less about some guy at a fire. Also, most buffs had some sort of badge, either issued by the department, or personally acquired. It wasn't difficult to order one similar to those used by the FDNY, and with the proper display, no one knew who you were or questioned your being past the fire lines.  Those were some times, you knew it was going to be a record night when you wrote off going to All Hands, and waited for at least a second or third, which you knew would only be a short time coming. The radio never stopped, and running on weekends went through night.

Nobody would mistake any of them for firemen or cops.

There were also so many people from other city departments and semiprivate organizations, such as Model Cities projects running around that nobody would question them. It made for a lot of confusion as to who was legit, or not, and the average cop didn't go out of his way to challenge anyone.  Unless the person did something obviously stupid, and couldn't be overlooked, they were left alone. And many of those who had, what we called the pretender cars, did, in fact look and act the way they should to project the image they wanted, that as a member of the department. As I said, those were interesting times.

B

Bigandy

XLIVLIXXVIII said:
Disp51 said:
Back in the mid to late 60's, and early 70's there was more than one "Buffmobile" being used. I remember two in particular, one operated by a guy who became a city cop, and another used by a civilian PD photographer who would sell pictures to various news outlets. The vehicles themselves were either former NYPD cars, bought at auction, or ordered new with NYPD police package specs. They were outfitted identical to city cars down to decals on the front side windows warning against carbon monoxide poisoning if the windows were not cracked open. If you looked inside, you would find a radio control head, with handset, as well as an appropriate assortment of FD/PD paraphernalia to complete the package. Also, the only warning light used was a red Federal Fireball, and all the cars had one. Sirens were mechanical models, a Federal 28, mounted under the hood. Back then, hand held radios were not common, and anyone so equipped was assumed to be "on the job". And even those radios were adapted to project the proper image, with rubber antennas replacing metal collapsible ones, and properly marked Motorola cases used to carry them. Also, with so many different police commands operating in these areas, it was easy to blend in if you looked and acted like you were official. Most of the cops in the South Bronx, and other similar areas had more than they could handle, and couldn't care less about some guy at a fire. Also, most buffs had some sort of badge, either issued by the department, or personally acquired. It wasn't difficult to order one similar to those used by the FDNY, and with the proper display, no one knew who you were or questioned your being past the fire lines.  Those were some times, you knew it was going to be a record night when you wrote off going to All Hands, and waited for at least a second or third, which you knew would only be a short time coming. The radio never stopped, and running on weekends went through night.

Did you see the shape of this group?

They look like a bunch of weebles.

Nobody would mistake any of them for firemen or cops.

Just a little info on one of the guys. The big heavy guy with the beard is Vito Maggiolo. You pop in a video of DCFD, Camden, or FDNY, he was probably the guy shooting the video. He just won an award down in DC for something related to photography.

Bigandy: it was over in Jersey City & Newark, a very bad experience riding with someone racing through city streets @ 70-80 mph. Don't get me wrong, i sincerely enjoy the photos/videos captured, respect the contributions made and personally I like some of the folks that do this. I'm just not into the mayhem part.

By the way, and this is for everyone: if you ever come down my way we have a ride-along program, just send me a PM if you want to participate. 

this video makes me realize i was born 10 years too early (i was born in 1992). nyc looked like it was crazy back before giuliani cleaned everything up

B

Bigandy

vbcapt: us jersey guys get a little too excited when we're heading to a job :)

You were in the right places though, Newark and Jersey City are great spots to buff, always something going on. I live in Kearny, which is a suburb of both Newark and Jersey City, so I catch all the good stuff, when I can. I don't drive 90 mph to a job though, you shoulda hung around with me  :D