LA City FD Robot

As noted in another thread, the US Army has R&D for robots to perform these tasks well underway. When combined with artificial intelligence (building floorplans, fire behavior, human behavior, occupancy data, God knows what else), the need for fireman to be in a burning buildings will be reduced.

FDNY was just testing a demo provided by the manufacturer. I don't think they've purchased one yet. The manufacturer states that LAFD is the first in the nation to purchase one:

WATERBORO, ME. - Howe & Howe Inc., a subsidiary of Textron Systems Corporation, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, announced today the first domestic sale and delivery of its robotic firefighter, the Thermite RS3, to the Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) through authorized sales distributor Municipal Emergency Services (MES) Fire. This acquisition by the LAFD marks the first commercial sale of a robotic firefighting vehicle in the country.
Source: http://www.roboticfirefighters.com/media1.html

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Well I guess they haven’t bought it yet. From someone I know in the shops, it’s been there for awhile now. So does the FDNY have it for free right now or is the big wording difference in “buying” vs “renting”.

They don't currently have possession of the demo unit, as it's being used as such with other departments. Also, it's not rented, leased, etc. FDNY is expected to decide on a purchase in the near future. At that point, it will be kept at the Rock.