Ladder (Phone Booth)

Rockaway Ave & Bergen St was the location of the LEGENDARY BKLYN TIN HOUSE.....it housed now Disbanded ENG*232 as well as LAD*176 when they morphed from TCU*732......the house is now an EMS station.

68jk09 said:
Rockaway Ave & Bergen St was the location of the LEGENDARY BKLYN TIN HOUSE.....it housed now Disbanded ENG*232 as well as LAD*176 when they morphed from TCU*732......the house is now an EMS station.

My buddy and I walked into the "Legendary Bklyn Tin House" during those busy years just to get a tour of the place, as this was supposed to be a temporary firehouse. One that could be taken down after the neighborhood was burned out and moved to another busy neighborhood. We ended up getting the tour, a great meal, and staying for the night. Rode with Ladder 176. Some really Great Guys. I think 176 had the phone booth at that time. Just one of the many great memories I have while buffing the FDNY. Just wanted to say "THANK YOU".

132 got relocated to 120 one night when TCU 732 was in business (not sure of the year, but do know it was before 1972...senior moment). I do remember that 132 still had the 1959 Mack and 732 had the 1969 ALF.
Anyway, about half way out to 120's the dispatcher redirects us to 732. Our delegate was working that night and, upon noticing the change in direction, asked the officer "what's up?". The lieutenant told him that we were going to 732 instead and he got upset that a "full time" company was being relocated to a "part time" company and said he was going to look into this. Nothing ever came of it.
The Tin House was a good house with great people

JOR176 said:
1261Truckie said:
L-132 had a 1972 Seagrave rearmount and the bolts attaching the cradle which held the bedded aerial to the frame frequently sheared off when the rig hit a pot hole. NYC added new meaning to the term "Mean Streets"

Was Frankie "Finesse" or "Dent Head" driving    ::)

Frank Ancona?

fdce54 said:
Working down at Wall St in 1971 I remember Ladder 15 having a 2-door Seagrave rearmount with the worst sounding siren ever. Was that 2nd hand from Ladder 27-2?

27-2's  '69 Seagrave

Only 2 door Seagrave ever delivered to FDNY.   Now in service with the Norwich, CT. Fire Department as a spare.

I believe the 1969 Seagrave rearmount was handed down to Ladder 78 after it spent some time in L-15

1261Truckie said:
I believe the 1969 Seagrave rearmount was handed down to Ladder 78 after it spent some time in L-15

I think it may have also served for a bit in 109 Truck.

Bob Dobalina said:

Now in service with the Norwich, CT. Fire Department as a spare.

Might be some confusion on this rig. The Taftville Volunteer Fire Dept ( one of Five Volunteer Depts in Norwich, Ct) purchased a 1970 Seagrave Rearmount Ladder 109 from the FDNY. It had the normal six man cab and phone booth. But that dept had the phone booth removed and cut the cab to appear as the one in the above photo. I can't understand why that was done, but the dept decided to do that. Ladder 109 had served in Brooklyn during the Busy War Years, then spent many years with the Taftville Dept. Later that Ladder went to the Norwich Fire Dept where it served as a Reserve Ladder for several more years. After 40 years of service that Great Ladder went to its final resting place. It had no special bells and whistles like todays rigs, but it sure was a work horse.

I just wanted to clear it up though that Ladder 27 is not the one that went to Norwich Fire Dept. It was Ladder 109.

Thanks for clearing that up Bill!   Always thought the Taftville/Norwich ladder was the old 27-2.   Very strange how they cut the 4 door cab down to a 2 door. ???

What did Norwich do with the rig?  Scrap it or sell it?

Bob Dobalina said:
Thanks for clearing that up Bill!   Always thought the Taftville/Norwich ladder was the old 27-2.   Very strange how they cut the 4 door cab down to a 2 door. ???

I think they actually scraped it. What happened is one day last spring they took it out to run up the ladder and do a routine check on it. As the ladder was put out to a slight angle, it began to fall to the ground by its self. I can check on what happened to it within the next few days. (sold or scraped).
  But something I found out on this thread, that Ladder 27-2 was the only Seagrave R.M. with no six man cab or phone booth. Never knew that or I guess didn't really pay too much attention at the time. Because Lad 27-2 sure caught its share of work. Pretty busy outfit as I remember.

nfd2004 said:
Bob Dobalina said:

I think they actually scraped it. What happened is one day last spring they took it out to run up the ladder and do a routine check on it. As the ladder was put out to a slight angle, it began to fall to the ground by its self. I can check on what happened to it within the next few days. (sold or scraped).
  But something I found out on this thread, that Ladder 27-2 was the only Seagrave R.M. with no six man cab or phone booth. Never knew that or I guess didn't really pay too much attention at the time. Because Lad 27-2 sure caught its share of work. Pretty busy outfit as I remember.

27-2 only ran the '69 "Demonstrator" for about a year or so, then they took delivery of the 1970 Model pictured below

Wow, that street looks pretty good. Were they relocated some where else........... :D

fdce54 said:
Wow, that street looks pretty good. Were they relocated some where else........... :D
Not every street in their response area looked like Dresden, Germany after a bombing ;)

Bob Dobalina said:

According to the Chief, "The ill Seagrave RM, former Ladder 109, was sold for scrap". It served over 40 years including the Busy Brooklyn War Years. It's final year came in the Spring of 2010. She finally gave up and was put to rest.