last Macks in service

I'll answer your question a different way:

Last Mack/Ward 79's 1000 GPMs, purchased:  23 in 1989

1982  2 Mack 100' rearmounts

1991  5 Mack 95' Towers

1988  5 Mack 75' Towers

Did they never go back to Mack after the LaFrance engines? I thought I remembered some Mack engines after the LaFrances.

ALF delivered the Century Series in three orders:  80 in 1980; 9 in 1982, and 14 in 1983.

Seagrave started in 1992.

Mack delivered  around 127 units from 1984 to 1989.

If we're talking Mack CF's, the Foam units are the last in-service ones.

The last engines in regular front line service were replaced in 2000, I believe they were Engines 164 and 297.  Several Macks came back into service as long-term spares after 9/11 (Engs. 6, 7, 10, 202 off the top of my head), then served as spares and reserves until the 93's and 94's were retired from front line service in 2003-2005.

Several Mack CF tower ladders were in front line service as late as 2002-2003 (i.e. TL44, TL58, TL163), and several served as spares well into 2006 when they were finally replaced by the 1994 FWD towers.  I think the last one to be disposed of was around until a year or two ago.

HCO

Re earlier post on 1991 Mack 95-foot tower ladders:

FDNY had ten, NOT five, 1991 Mack 95 foot tower ladders delivered in 1991. They were originally assigned to Ladders 33, 44, 50, 58, 85, 107, 117, 149, 153, 164.

HCO said:
Re earlier post on 1991 Mack 95-foot tower ladders:

FDNY had ten, NOT five, 1991 Mack 95 foot tower ladders delivered in 1991. They were originally assigned to Ladders 33, 44, 50, 58, 85, 107, 117, 149, 153, 164.

You are correct sir. I forgot to add the second group in my notes.  No star today :mad: :mad: :mad:

Off the top of my head, you got all the Foam Carriers and the Foam Tender, both High Rise Units, all six Satellites. Collapse Units 1,2,and 4. Decon 4, 251,160. Rescue 7(Reserve) is also a Mack. Also, the trucks that transport the collapse PODs. Like I said, that's all I can find off the top of my head.

Reserve Ladder 704 was a 1987 Mack, but I believe it's been disposed of. I think the reserve/spare Mack Rescues have been disposed of.

Those Mack Tower Ladders and Mack CF Engines will go down in my book as "The Greatest Generations of Fire Apparatus". They fought the fires of those Historic War Years, just as their co-partners, "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" did back in those Extremely Busy Years. They operated hour after hours fighting those fires. And some Broke Records on the number of runs they made.
  Those Macks certainly out did themselves in those days. They just wouldn't die. But even those Tough Macks were put out to rest. I'll remember them for as long as I live, as "The Best Fire Apparatus ever built". They proved that time and time again, as they pulled out those fire appartus doors so many times. And no doubt, no other fire apparatus put out so many fires during their time.
  We Salute you today as you are so badly missed. And we'll remember you for the Great job you did. Thank You Mack Fire Apparatus.

Will someone please tell Willy D to give it a rest ;D ;D.  This is 2010 and 1975 is long gone. LOL :) :) :)

Bulldog

Bulldog
johnd248 said:
Will someone please tell Willy D to give it a rest ;D ;D.   This is 2010 and 1975 is long gone. LOL :) :) :)
But not forgotten!
It's a shame trucks built today are not even close to being as rugged as the old Mack CF's were!  Of course part of a problem is due to all of the regulations that are imposed on them.  Another part is all the fancy bells and whistles everyone wants!  I wish somebody would just start building and companies would just start demanding and using well built basic vehicles!

nfd2004 said:
Those Mack Tower Ladders and Mack CF Engines will go down in my book as "The Greatest Generations of Fire Apparatus". They fought the fires of those Historic War Years, just as their co-partners, "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" did back in those Extremely Busy Years. They operated hour after hours fighting those fires. And some Broke Records on the number of runs they made.
  Those Macks certainly out did themselves in those days. They just wouldn't die. But even those Tough Macks were put out to rest. I'll remember them for as long as I live, as "The Best Fire Apparatus ever built". They proved that time and time again, as they pulled out those fire appartus doors so many times. And no doubt, no other fire apparatus put out so many fires during their time.
   We Salute you today as you are so badly missed. And we'll remember you for the Great job you did. Thank You Mack Fire Apparatus.
Come to Jersey where a lot of them are still in service. Some of them are ex FDNY and some are with their original volunteer department for nearly 25 years. The ones I see still look great and still perform outstanding when called upon.

Len90 said:
nfd2004 said:
Come to Jersey where a lot of them are still in service. Some of them are ex FDNY and some are with their original volunteer department for nearly 25 years. The ones I see still look great and still perform outstanding when called upon.

i know not fdny but here is bayonne's 1990 mack cf still kicking after 20 years and the guys tell me she will be around a while longer.
049640x480v.jpg
//img291.imageshack.us/img291/7074/049640x480.jpg[/url]

I am amazed that those "Macks" are still in service, after battling all those fires in NYC. I know of no other fire apparatus that has had such a long, active life. On aside note, those Seagrave Rearmounts held up pretty good too. I know of a dept that had a 1970 Seagrave Rearmount formerly was Ladder 109. It just went to its final resting place the spring of 2010 after 40 years of service.

I probadly won't be around 40 years from now, but I sure don't think we'll see that same scenario repeated. The FDNY Mack Tower Ladders, Mack Pumpers, and Orginial Seagrave Rearmount Ladders were probadly the Best Fire Apparatus EVER. And as "Bulldog" says: no fancy bells and whistles. Just a Tough Rugged Fire Truck built to put out fires. We'll probadly Never see that again.

Apparatus from that era didn't depend so much on electronics and other high-tech components like today's rigs. A rearmount is not as complicated, having fewer things that could go wrong than a tiller or tower ladder. ;) Motors and pumps today are more complex with minds of their own while back in those days an MPO had more visual and manual control. ;)

Does anyone know if any of the 93 and 94 Seagrave pumpers that have been auctioned off, anyone know where they are at now. List them if you possible please.

One 94 and two 93 Seagrave pumpers were at the Brookfield salvage yard in Elmsford about a month to six weeks ago. I don't know if they were dismantled or resold.

usually if at Brookfield (many of our old rigs end up there) they are cut up for scrap, and not sold.