London Fire Brigade Order 15 New Aerial Ladders 2/7/2019

London Fire Brigade this week have ordered 15 NEW Turntable Ladder Aerials to replace its current fleet and adding 3 x additional Aerials

They will be built by Emergency One in Scotland and come on a Scania Chassis

12 of these Turntable Ladders will be 32meters (104ft) in height and the 3 New Turntable Ladders will be 64meters (209ft) in height and Stationed in Dagenham, Wimbledon & Old Kent Road Stations. They will become the Largest Aerials in the UK and Ireland replacing Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service's 4 x 42meter (137ft) Aerials which recently went on the run and hold the title of Highest Aerial in the UK & Ireland

This is in addition to approx 188 New pumps currently in build / delivered as well as in design stages of Replacing their FRU's (Rescue Units)

Great investment for London Fire Brigade

Bulldog

Bulldog
I never have quite figured out why some of these taller aerials that you see in Europe and Asia have never made any inroads into the US market. Certainly many of the major cities and buildings really could be of value.

FDNY talked about getting 1 or 2 of them but not sure if anything ever came of it. I would think they would at least demo 1. Does anyone have any pictures of there new appliances that London is getting?

fdny747 said:
FDNY talked about getting 1 or 2 of them but not sure if anything ever came of it. I would think they would at least demo 1. Does anyone have any pictures of there new appliances that London is getting?

These are yet to be built. To my knowledge they are to be built on a 6x2 Scania P400 Chassis. Attached are pics of Northern Ireland FRS 42m 6x2 Volvo FE-320 to give you a sort of idea

fdny747 said:

I certainly can't speak for FDNY or any of its members, but most European (and Asian) ladders are much lighter weight than those built in the US, and that limits what can be done with them.  For instance, I'll bet that the bucket on the rig that Dec posted has a much lower load capacity than a Seagrave Aerialscope . . . and I don't think that anyone using a Magirus ladder would even think about using the tip to do minor demolition, as is done with FDNY rear mounts and TDAs. As for using one to set up a high point for rescues, forget it. And, although it has been more than 50 years, FDNY has tried them . . . the 2 Mack C/Magirus 144 ft "High Ladders" of the mid-60's.  After just a couple of years, the Magirus ladders were replaced with Grove 100 footers.

Chicago has had experience with tall ladders and the Magirus brand. In 1959 they purchased 2 MackB 100' Magirus and 2 Mack B 144' aerials. In 1974 CFD purchased a 135' 6 section Morita lift on a Hendrickson/Pierce chassis, shown here.

raybrag said:
fdny747 said:

I certainly can't speak for FDNY or any of its members, but most European (and Asian) ladders are much lighter weight than those built in the US, and that limits what can be done with them.  For instance, I'll bet that the bucket on the rig that Dec posted has a much lower load capacity than a Seagrave Aerialscope . . . and I don't think that anyone using a Magirus ladder would even think about using the tip to do minor demolition, as is done with FDNY rear mounts and TDAs. As for using one to set up a high point for rescues, forget it. And, although it has been more than 50 years, FDNY has tried them . . . the 2 Mack C/Magirus 144 ft "High Ladders" of the mid-60's.  After just a couple of years, the Magirus ladders were replaced with Grove 100 footers.

Like you ray im not sure of the load capacity's on the Aerials. I've yet to see one up close. And as im sure you and others here know "Ladder" work would be completely different here then in the US. Aerials tend to be used for bigger jobs for "surround and drown" or Special Tech Rescues. All Aerials in Ireland now have buckets attached. Up till last year Dublin had 1 Turntable Aerial left with a "Straight Stick" and carried the bucked on the side which could be attached to the front if needed. That's now gone

But i have seen Aerials here be used as a 'High Point' especially for River Rescues on the River Liffey. Dublin send the Aerial to all River Calls in the city along with one of their Rescue Trucks with a Hiab Crane. Both can be used as a High Point to pull FFs or Patients out of river

In other cases the Aerials are used on EMS assist's for taking patients from High Points

I've often wondered (maybe someone has the answer) if FDNY have ever used / or thought of using the articulated ladder style for Tower Ladders?? I'm thinking of those particular jobs where you have multiple power lines in way or for easier access to roof tops (as can be seen in a recent Job in Dublin)

Here is s Demo of one of London Fire Brigades New 64m Turntable Ladders seen demonstrating the Bucket Lift

https://twitter.com/LFBtomgeorge/status/1098676664047988736