Marine Units

How many Marine units are on shift and are there any reserve marine units? Thank you adn you guys be safe out there!

There's 3 full-time staffed Marine units, Marine 1 (which is 2 boats), Marine 6, and Marine 9.
There's also 3 season small boats that operate only in spring-fall during the day, they are Marines 3,4 and 8. (forget what times exactly they operate but it was something like 0800 to 2300)
I don't know of any "reserve" marine units but there's a variety of small boats, inflatables, etc. including 1 at SOC and the 2 carried by the Tactical Support Units.

Is the Alfred Smith (former Marine 6) a reserve or is it still in front line use?

HCO

In addition to the boats earlier mentioned, there are two Marine Auxiliary Rescue Craft (MARC) are at Engines 154 and 164 in Staten Island.  These trailer-mounted 16?-foot center console Profile Series boats are manufactured by AB Inflatables.  The boats do not have fire pumps.  MARC vessels are elements of the Staten Island Borough Command rather than SOC's Marine Operations.

Should be, though at the moment I think the Chief of Marine Ops is a Battalion Chief.  Marine Ops, HazMat Ops, and Rescue Ops are all Divisions under SOC.

I would also guess that with the "343" coming into service soon, the Smith might be moved out of the fleet, with the McKean as the reserve, though this is purely a guess.

NYBravest82 said:
I would also guess that with the "343" coming into service soon, the Smith might be moved out of the fleet, with the McKean as the reserve, though this is purely a guess.

Not necessarily.  I read that the McKeon has been sold to be used as a tug.  The Firefighter is to go to a "museum."

mack

Administrator
Some FDNY marine videos:
Fires:
1978 - pier fire - You have to click again to watch - FDNY PIER FIRE Feb 1978
1942 - USS Lafayette/SS Normandie Fire 1942 - The USS Lafayette/SS Normandie Fire 1942
1930s - Cunard pier fire - FDNY Fireboats at Work Early 1930s
2007 - Jersey City/Newark Fireboats - You have to click again to watch - 06.25.07 - Jersey City & Newark Fireboats in action!!!
Historical:
1903 - New Yorker - Fireboat New Yorker
Other:
Marine 6 - FDNY fireboat Kane Marine 6 on patrol Govenor's Island
Marine 9 - 2003 FireFighter Rechristening   Fire Fighter Nyc Fire Boat
Marine 9 - 2008 - FDNY Marine 9 09-11-08 Off Richmond Terrace, Staten Island
John J Harvey - John J Harvey
Madison Ave Bridge Display - Madison Avenue Bridge Centennial - FDNY Display
John D. McKean Anniversary (no audio) - John D. McKean 50th Anniversary Video (Part I)
Bloomberg' New Replacement Fireboat:
Mack's Fire Boat
Additional Marine 1 FDNY web page:  http://marine1fdny.com/fireboat_history.php