MIRT Unit

A friend asked me for some information about this unit and I wasn't able to provide any. Can you please let me know: it's mission/purpose; what equipment it carries; what type of incident it responds to (yeah I know, marine incidents); where it is quartered; etc.
I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Jim Boyle (aka 1261truckie)

HCO

The Marine Incident Response Team Unit, based at Marine Operations in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, is a 2012 Ferrara with 15-foot medium rescue body on a Freightliner M2-106 chassis. It is similar in design to the Tactical Support Units, but with four-wheel drive. It has a 35kW PTO generator, Will-Burt light tower, and a 16,000 pound front winch.

The MIRT has a Stanley HP-1 hydraulic system powered by an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton engine and carries a large variety of hydraulic tools including breakers, drills, saws, and sump and trash pumps. Also carried is a 12-foot inflatable boat with a 25 hp outboard motor.

The MIRT is staffed by Marine Operations personnel when special called.

Why would a land locked Marine unit need a Stanley hydraulic rescue system ….the same that all the Rescue companies carry on their rescue collapse rig and the TAC already carry ? And at what type of incident whould they anticipate using one…or a incident where one may be needed and the the Rescue isn’t assigned ?

Last edited:
The Stanley is not a rescue system It is used to power pumps for dewatering. It is carried by several units.

Attachments

• DSC_5114.jpg
    DSC_5114.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_5117.jpg
    DSC_5117.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 31
I totally familiar withe Stanley system …and yes ,it most definitely is a rescue system and it’s capable of both, it was mentioned above the the MIRT carried breakers , drills and saws ,in addition to the dewatering pumps. If it’s just for dewatering , I can understand it.….but seams like a duplicate of services from the Rescue Battalions’ dewatering and the TAC units.

Last edited:
Are there any departments that use it for rescues? Holmatro, Hurst and Amkus are used by almost everyone.

Are there any departments that use it for rescues? Holmatro, Hurst and Amkus are used by almost everyone.
Most departments that own Stanley systems use them for building collapses & USAR purposes. There are a number of tools that can be used with it as TLTruckie mentioned above.

The Stanley system is a different concept then hydraulic extrication tools such as Hurst, Holmatro, etc.