Mixer off - why?

Listening to a whole bunch of 10-41 code 1's in Brooklyn tonite, many given out with the marshals already on the scene.

Both the units in the field and disp's always request/specify "mixer off" to relay the address of the fire, it's location in the building and why it's considered a 10-41.

It may be long standing dep't. policy (even going back to my time & before) but I wonder if anyone ever stopped to think that the fire starter already *knows* where and how he started the fire!  ::)

bklyndisp54 said:
Listening to a whole bunch of 10-41 code 1's in Brooklyn tonite, many given out with the marshals already on the scene.

Both the units in the field and disp's always request/specify "mixer off" to relay the address of the fire, it's location in the building and why it's considered a 10-41.

It may be long standing dep't. policy (even going back to my time & before) but I wonder if anyone ever stopped to think that the fire starter already *knows* where and how he started the fire!   ::)

One good reason 10-41 info from the field is done with mixer off is suppose the chief is relaying info regarding a witness to the fire, for example: "Mrs. O'Leary has information on who started the fire.".  This would be re-broadcast over all apparatus at the scene and scanners if the mixer was not off.  Then the arsonist gets the message and takes care of Mrs. O'Leary.

Another example is for injuries.  FDNY regs are explicit that injured (or dead) members' names are not to be given over the radio, but frequently they are.  If mixer was not off, every press person, buff, members' families, etc. would get the info.

811 is absolutely correct in all his points.  FD needs to also consider that turning off the mixer does not secure the message.  Anyone with enough 'smarts' to listen to the mobile (input) frequency will hear the field unit's message unencrypted and "in the clear"!  The better (but not best) practice would be to use the cellphones for sensitive messages.

One thing I have seen is actually an overuse of the mixer off. IMHO, you don't need a mixer off to tell me you're making it a 41-1 because there's no apparent cause. That's something that can simply be said over the radio.

i've heard units transmit things like "untermined source of ignition" or "evidence of accelerants at the point of origin" with the mixer off. and from quite a distance too sometimes.....