My collection at the Ole' Homestead

Special Friends and Members of this great web site. I'd like to welcome you into my Homestead and show you some of my collection of FDNY Code 3 models on display in my living room, along with a couple of very special coffee mugs that were given to me by one of our most famous members. That being Mr Johnny Gage, also known as Dan Potter, retired FDNY. Author of the "Glory Days", including "Gory" Days and the very popular topics of "THROWBACK THURSDAYS" and "Vintage FDNY War Lids".

But as I so often must do, I need the expertise of a good friend of mine here who also plays a big part in the success of this operation. His name, also familiar to us is "signal 73", aka Brad Young. Another foreigner like myself from Connecticut.

So without further ado, let me ask Mr "Signal 73" if he can post that photo for me. If he does I sure appreciate it and hopefully I can tell you a little bit about the picture.

Well Willy since you started it I?ll add to it

Here is my FDNY PATCH COLLECTION

As i told Willy via Text. About 15-20 are picture of patches since it?s hard to find some of these or they are on eBay for an hours pay which is crazy lol

Signal73 said:
As requested. Here is Willy D?s Collection Photo

Thanks Brad for posting that picture for me, and without a doubt, that is certainly one very impressive patch collection.

Now let me describe the photo from my collection which includes a few special mugs and some of my FDNY Code 3 collection. I know that we have guys on this site, that worked in some of those fire companies.

Starting at the TOP:

1) Ladder 33
2) Ladder 103

Right column - Top down
1) Engine 75
2) Engine 85
3) Engine 33

Left column - Top down
1) Engine 92
2) Haz Mat Operations
3) Engine 63

Back to the far right
1) Engine 65

The TWO Mugs were given to me by this site member MR Johnny Gage, aka Dan Potter - retired FDNY. Also NYC - EMS, and DCFD

In the Spring, 2019 many members of this site, including Active and Retired Firefighters, Dispatchers, Buffs, as well as Firefighters and Buffs from outside of NYC got together in Brooklyn. Nobody expected it but Dan, aka Johnny, came in with an entire box of those custom made "Glory Days Mugs" with NYCfire written on them.

Then recently on this site was a picture posted of that "Fireman Mug". I remember having one like that but could NOT find it. I had mentioned that on this site. Recently, I got a package sent to me and I open it, that too was from Mr Gage. It was that "Fireman Mug" that you see in the photo.
THANK YOU MR GAGE.

I would also like to mention, on display at that Get Together in May, were two brass couplings from hose used in the Jamaica Queens massive gas explosion of the 60s. Sent to us by Retired Chief Bob Manson, *******, on this site.

These are just a couple of stories from members that I would like to pass onto you. There are so many great guys and great stories to tell about various members of this site. Someday maybe I'll do that, because knowing these guys, they're not going to pat themselves on the back. So I'll have to do that for them.

Anyway, sorry for getting a little off track here regarding the Ole' Homestead Collection. Of course I have more to add, as long as Brad doesn't give up on helping me out. 

In addition to the Code 3 Collectibles that I hope to add photos of here, like Brad, "signal 73", I also collected fire dept patches. Particularity several of the FDNY Company patches. Each with their own design and character.

I first started collecting those patches when they were on display at a place called; "Roz's". Roz was a woman who had opened up a store in the Bronx for the purpose of selling FDNY, NYPD, and EMS uniforms, equipment, etc, to the members of those depts.

She opened her first store on Kingsbridge Ave in the Bronx, almost across the street from the NYPDs 50th Pct. It became one of my regular stops before chasing the fire trucks. She was always very good to myself, or any of my buff buddies who came along. She would always talk to us about what is going on, even if we didn't buy anything

Later she decided to open her store at a different location because the rent went up on Kingsbridge Ave. So she moved to Eastchester Ave in the Bronx, across from the 49th Pct this time.

Roz would sell FDNY company patches and that is how I built up my collection. Eventually, I hope to take pictures of these patches for the members to view. (Sorry, THEY ARE "NOT" FOR SALE).

Of the patches I have, some companies no longer exist - Engine 85, Engine 232.
Engine 41 is now Squad 41.
Rescue 3 was quartered with Engine 93/Ladder 45/Battalion 13 at the time. 
Engine 71 was on Park Ave, now on Melrose Ave

My FDNY Company Patch collection includes:

Manhattan:
  Engine 10, Engine 21, Engine 58/Ladder 26, Engine 59/Ladder 30, Engine 93

Bronx:
  Engine 41, Engine 50/Ladder 19/Division 6, Engine 71, Engine 82, Engine 83/Ladder 29, Engine 85/Ladder 59, Engine 88, Engine 92, Engine 96/Ladder 54, Ladder 27, Ladder 31

Brooklyn:
  Engine 201, Engine 211, Engine 232/Ladder 176, Engine 235, Engine 246/Ladder 169, Engine 254, Engine 280, Engine 330/Satellite 3, Ladder 108

Also: Rescue 3, Haz Mat 1, Super Pumper

In addition, these other Company Patches:

Philadelphia - Engine 19/Ladder 8/Battalion 9
  Philadelphia - Engine 43/Ladder 9/Rescue 7M

Boston - Ladder 20
  Ladder 20 was located on South Hampton St near the shops. A well known buff hangout called: "Whip City" - due to the large buff scanner antennas on the numerous cars that would park in a nearby Howard Johnsons. The guys on Ladder 20 knew that and an extra tap on the air horn going by was always appreciate by the guys in that parking lot.

Bridgeport, Ct - Truck 5 (now called Ladder 5).
  My brother was assigned to that very busy Ladder Co for a few years during Bridgeport's own set of War Years in the late 1970s and the 80s. He became Lt and within a week or two he responded a few blocks away as the first due "Truck Co" to the L'Ambiance Collapse. A 12 story building under construction in April, 1987, killing 28 construction workers.
That incident, would bring in members of the FDNY, Dade County, and Fairfax County, Urban Search and Rescue teams

Each Company Patch has a story behind it by its picture or wording. Some examples:
  E58/L26 - The Fire Factory
  E59/L30 - The Harlem Zoo
  E71 - The Pride of Park Ave
  E83/L29 - da'Bums on da'Hill
  E85/L59 - Tin House South Bronx
  E88 - First Due at the Zoo
  Ladder 108 - Pride of Williamsburg
  Engine 232/L176 - Tin House Gang
  Engine 235 - The Eye of Bed Stuy
  Engine 280 - In the Eye of the Storm

Signal73 said:
Willy asked me to post these

Thank you once again Brad, "signal 73". I hope that Santa Clause is good to you.

In the Top Photo, a few FDNY Company Patches:

Left Column - (Top) Engine 58/Ladder 26
                      (Bottom) Engine 10

Center - Engine 93

Right Column - (Top) Engine 21
                        (Bottom) Engine 59/Ladder 30

In the Lower Photo, Two Mugs and a Firehouse

Left - A Mug from our Most Valuable Player, "mikeindabronx"'
        That mug has many pictures on it from his very popular web site - www.fdnysbravest.com

Center - My favorite firehouse that was once Norwich, Ct Fire Headquarters at 24 Chestnut St. Started as a young Probie there way back in 1975. At that time it housed an Engine Co, a Ladder Co, a Rescue Co, and a Deputy Chief.
  In October, 1995, as we came on duty for the night tour, I was given the keys to lock the place up, get our lockers empty, and move over to our brand new firehouse. Which had already been occupied by Ladder 1 and Engine 3 earlier. It was a sad moment in time for those of us who were left working there on Squad "A".

Right - A collectors cup was given to each person who attended the official ribbon cutting of the new firehouse. The Rescue Co was replaced with a Rescue/Pumper called Squad "A". 

younginsfdny_patch_collection

Instagram users. Type that into the search bar and check out my collection