My younger Buff years

"kidfrmqus".......46/27 are only a couple of blocks south of their old house. R-3 was in the old house (don't remember from what year...can anyone help?? ) until recently when they moved to their new house. NFD can tell you some buff stories from those companys from back in the day. Bathgate Industrial Park area caught plenty of work. I read on here somewhere about Con-Ed running new utilities in this vacant, burned out area back then while the rest of the area was burning. Somebody knew something !!!!!!

mack

Administrator
RESCUE 3 BRONX
ORG. 341 E. 143rd St. At L-17 (Jun. 1, 1931)
RELOC. 1781 Monroe Ave. At E-42 (Nov. 1, 1948)
RELOC. 3134 Park Ave. At E-71 (May 14, 1951)
RELOC. 1781 Monroe Ave. At E-42 (Jul. 23, 1968)

RESCUE 3 MANHATTAN
RELOC. 515 W. 181st St. At E-93 (Aug. 8, 1968)

RESCUE 3 BRONX
RELOC. 453 E. 176th St. FQ L-58 (Jul. 1, 1992)

http://www.nyfd.com/cityhist.pdf

Bxboro said:
"kidfrmqus".......46/27 are only a couple of blocks south of their old house. R-3 was in the old house (don't remember from what year...can anyone help?? ) until recently when they moved to their new house. NFD can tell you some buff stories from those companys from back in the day. Bathgate Industrial Park area caught plenty of work. I read on here somewhere about Con-Ed running new utilities in this vacant, burned out area back then while the rest of the area was burning. Somebody knew something !!!!!!
  Yes, the Bathgate Industrial Park is located on what once was a densly populated area known as the Claremont Park section. It was literally almost entirely burned out during the "War Years". I remember back in the mid 60's when Bathgate and Washington Avenues in the 170's looked like the Lower East Side (Delancey St.) with pushcarts and ragshops. After the 1980's it was a ghost town and the city decided to turn it into an industrial park so Con Ed upgraded the electric grid to support a greater load from industrial use. 

An update on my reply # 847 above......I came upon this last night in the bar while looking at a free copy of the N.Y. Piece Of Shit Trash......not many spend or should spend money on the  n. y.  post s anti union rag....however here is a Coney Island related story that may be of interest ......Titled  "Boardwalk Biz Brawl".....QUOTE.....The operators of Coney Island's new Luna Park are freaking out over eight longtime boardwalk businesses' refusal to be evicted, and want the courts to give them the boot.      Zamperia USA this week filed suit against Shoot The Freak, Rubys Bar & Grill and others that were served eviction papers last month and told to get out by Nov 19. The suit demands that they vacate immediatly or pay $2,000 a day in penalties.    " We are not going anywhere ", Shoot The Freak and Beer island owner Anthony Berlingieri told the post yesterday. "We did nothing wrong . We paid our rent on time , made Coney Island  a success before Luna Park got here, and now we are being thrown out like animals". UNQUOTE.........i believe the Luna Park he is refering to is the present corporation not the original part of history........as stated before ...bloombag is behind destroying some more of Real N.Y......if "Shoot the Freak" is allowed to remain in operation i have some good candidates to be the Freak.

I recently met with John Bendick. He's a retired member of the FDNY after 37 years on the job. He's one of those guys, like a few others on here, that I refer to as "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters". We met at a restrauant and talked for hours. He also had his son John with him, who is also a member of a very busy FDNY Engine Co. John Sr also has another son Tommy (owner of this site) on the FDNY, and another son, named Mike, on a busy N.J. Fire Dept.
  Something else I didn't realize during those busy War Years. During the Adaptive Response time, which I believe started around 3 PM.  Some busy Ladder Companies, an added firefighter was hired between the hours of 6 PM and 12 Midnight. They rode in the telephone booth on the side of some of those Ladder Companies.
  As I was talking with John Sr I realized that I was talking to a person who probadly fought more fires in his time than most of us can even think about. Meanwhile, his son John Jr is probadly fighting more fires today than most firefighters across the world. Although the entire night, about the only fire they ever mentioned was when John Jr fought a fire where he recieved burns through his hood and bunker gear. The fire was on the first floor, and "pep holes" in the doors were melted three floors above from the heat. Because of those burns, John Jr was out of work for four months. But he still loves going to fires and loves the job.

I started this in another forum after an All Hands was posted for box 709 but since it got further than that box i moved it to here..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit of trivia......present location of BKLYN box 709 is Flushing Av Opposite Garden St.......prior to the bldg of the "Bushwick Houses" around 1960 the location was Flushing Av & Morrell St.........Morrell St. ran from Flushing Ave to Moore St. & is now wiped out by the projects......there also was a box 3758 at Cook & Morrell which is gone (the box # has been re-assigned to 7 AV 900 'south of 92 St BKLYN nowheres near).......701 was Moore & Morrell.....701 is now Moore 75 ' West of Bushwick all are just around the corner practically from the old Siegel St qtrs. of LAD*108 where i started riding in '61 & was appointed to in '68.......another 3700 box 108 was 1st due at was 3757 Varet & White Sts.......another not too distant one but out of our 1st alarm area was 3755 Evergreen & Green Aves & 3756 Evergren & Palmetto......all the other boxes in 108 s area were 3 digit.  

If you continue a few more blocks down Evergreene to Palmetto St. you'll come across box 3755 and I think there's a 42 hundred box between 237 and 206.

Also wasn't Bogart & Rock a 3700? Maybe 3755 or 3756 in the old days?

277 was Grand & LaGrange Sts long after Eastern District High School was built and LaGrange Street removed.

1929brooklynlagrangehyde2-48.png

68jk09 said:
I started this in another forum after an All Hands was posted for box 709 but since it got further than that box i moved it to here..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit of trivia......present location of BKLYN box 709 is Flushing Av Opposite Garden St.......prior to the bldg of the "Bushwick Houses" around 1960 the location was Flushing Av & Morrell St.........Morrell St. ran from Flushing Ave to Moore St. & is now wiped out by the projects......there also was a box 3758 at Cook & Morrell which is gone (the box # has been re-assigned to 7 AV 900 'south of 92 St BKLYN nowheres near).......701 was Moore & Morrell.....701 is now Moore 75 ' West of Bushwick all are just around the corner practically from the old Siegel St qtrs. of LAD*108 where i started riding in '61 & was appointed to in '68.......another 3700 box 108 was 1st due at was 3757 Varet & White Sts.......another not too distant one but out of our 1st alarm area was 3755 Evergreen & Green Aves & 3756 Evergren & Palmetto......all the other boxes in 108 s area were 3 digit.  

Chief , you are correct here and in additon Box 330 was located at Seigel & Leonard until the Lindsey Houses cut off Seigel St. Box now located on Leonard BET Moore and Boerum Sts.

811 said:
Also wasn't Bogart & Rock a 3700? Maybe 3755 or 3756 in the old days?

277 was Grand & LaGrange Sts long after Eastern District High School was built and LaGrange Street removed.

1929brooklynlagrangehyde2-48.png

811, yes you are correct also. in the mid 50's  box 3755 was Bogart & Ingraham, box 3756 was Bogart & Rock.

811....in your reply # 868 you are correct about 3755 & 3756 in the old days.....i forgot about them....(JOR they remained as such into the '60s)....Bogart & Rock is now 295 ........277 at Grand & LaGrange was a working box in the '60 s during vacate & demolition of the large site in order to build Eastern District High School.......many jobs in those blocks then....the old "premium pay for doing demo in a burnout" was a factor there just as it was in all of the other School & Project sites in the day.

Plenty of demolition work also at 354 box, Bdwy. and Flushing. Odd response in that one section of 217 was asigned third due and the other section first on the second, the only such response that we had. Both sections wound up there together many nights. I also remember 346 box always being transmitted but I can't remember the location because it wasn't one of our boxes.

lucky said:
Plenty of demolition work also at 354 box, Bdwy. and Flushing. Odd response in that one section of 217 was asigned third due and the other section first on the second, the only such response that we had. Both sections wound up there together many nights. I also remember 346 box always being transmitted but I can't remember the location because it wasn't one of our boxes.

346  Humbolt & Varet  I know 68jk09  turned out to that box a ton as well as
345  Humbolt & Seigel

We used to travel from the Hartford area to buff the city.  This was back in the mid 70's and of course one of our places was the Big House on Interval Avenue.  We stopped in one Sunday, unaanounced and ended being invited to dinner.  Surprisingly the companies made it through the dinner.  The bells did finally toll and the place emptied out.  The four of us took 20 minutes of out time to clean the kitchen as a token of thanks.  Later that afternoon, the house captain arranged a visit tot he Bronx CO for us.  Talk about controlled chaos!  The one thing I remember is one of the guys answering the phone took a prank call.  He dealt with it very matter of fact - he hung up!  He mentione dthat if there was a real problem, the idiot would call back.  Indeed the idiot did call back no more than two minutes later.  And the sign hanging in CO - "Pay your taxes on time - we need our welfare check!" said it all.  By the way, 31's had an American LaFrance tiller that was missing the complete rear fender on the driver's side.

JOR176 said:
lucky said:

346   Humbolt & Varet   I know 68jk09  turned out to that box a ton as well as
345   Humbolt & Seigel

For "bad" boxes, don't forget 344 - Graham & Moore,  347 - Graham & Cook.

The demolition work at 354 that Lucky referred to in reply #872 above included 354 Flushing & Broadway as well as 355 Sumner & Hopkins (now Garvey Blvd/Sumner Av bet Broadway & Ellery St.)...356 Park & Sumner....358 Throop & Floyd (now Throop Av 175 Ft So of Park Av)....359 Throop & Ellery.....360 Throop & Flushing.... these boxes ringed the vacate & demolition area where Woodhull Hospital sits today it was a multi block area consisting of frame dwellings ....commercials... a Synagogue ....& tenements.....the vacates as well as the fires started around the beginning of '68.....in April '68 when Martin Luther King was killed several of the bldgs in the area were torched ....including a fourth on April 8 at Sumner & Hopkins.....the Fires continued sporadically thru '68 & '69 as the vacates & demo continued (myself & many others gained personal experience in our firefighting craft in these blocks) until the whole area was levelled.....it was a long legal process to vacate a large area such as this or other project / urban renewal areas thruout the city......usually it was a bldg  here & there not leveling a whole block all at once ....you might have 3 vacants then 2 occupieds etc ...or more dangerous was when you had a large tenement w/ many vacant apartments & others still occupied....if utilities were cut off in one bldg... elect would be jury rigged from another bldg or a light post...it was not uncommon to see gas being piped from 1 floor to another or 1 bldg to another via rubber garden hose.....as i said ....this took place in almost all of the urban renewal situations in nyc in the '60s/'70s.

In regard to my reply # 864 a page ago concerning Coney Island.....i just learned from a poster on another site that the "Shoot the Freak " concession on the boardwalk had been bulldozed last night w/out the owners knowledge.