N.Y. firefighters turn hoses on drone

mack

Administrator
Video demonstrates the use of drones in the fire service - command and control; safety; accountability.  Also valuable marine operations, brush and forest fires, highways etc.

Bulldog

Bulldog
mack said:
Video demonstrates the use of drones in the fire service - command and control; safety; accountability.  Also valuable marine operations, brush and forest fires, highways etc.
I've said that several times before.  Another advantage is they are much quicker to deploy at the fire scene than waiting for a helicopter to arrive with someone aboard like FDNY does.  If a small drone like this was carried by every division chief or something similar they could be deployed very rapidly at the scene of a fire or other type of incident.  As noted in the article the cost is only about $2200 for even if every division had one the price would be very small compared to a lot of other things FDNY spends money on.

fdce54 said:
STAjo said:
336 said:

Coldenham F.D. about a Mile from home; I was just by there about an hr. ago ...Montgomery a few Mi. North.

(That Place has a bit of a Rep. around here for being a bit Odd. UFO's & the like ...).  ;)
You better not be talking about Montgomery being a bit odd. There's nothing odd about me. Right Willy D.

Guess who the first person was I thought about when I read Montgomery, N.Y. Let's put it this way, if you read about drones in Norwich, Ct., who would "YOU" think of. If this happened in the Bronx or Brooklyn though, that could make it a little tougher though.

But could drones be used in the fire service at various operations. I think whether it's the Bronx, Brooklyn or Montgomery, NY there is a possibility for it. I know of a few buffs who have used them with great results. The videos could later be used for training also.

In the fire service or even used by police departments might be a good tool. For buffs too. But sometimes used to invade the privacy of people on their own property, not such a good idea.

i feel that this is a rather poor action by this department.  Like previously mentioned, the video would be great for post incident crtitque.  I saw this story on Inside Edition today.  The guy was an ex-firefighter shooting the video for a buff site.  The lack of concentration on the fire which was diverted to the drone is disturbing.  Professionals block out the minor stuff and get the job done.  There was no reason for their actions.