New Contracts For 2000 GPM KME Pumpers Now Awarded to Seagrave 1/23/2019

As reported by Jack Lerch in the  July-August 2018 edition of Fire Apparatus Journal  KME has been awarded three separate purchase orders  for 82 new 2000 GPM pumpers.

2019    10 units

2020    47 units

2021    25 units

Let's follow the deliveries as they come to NYC

I guess the Department and the members like the KME apparatus.  Judging from pictures of the KMEs vs the Seagraves, I think the Seagraves look like  much stronger and more solid fire engines, but one can't judge from pictures alone.  The Seagraves  remind me much more of the old Macks.  Any thoughts?

Bulldog

Bulldog
kfd274 said:
I guess the Department and the members like the KME apparatus.  Judging from pictures of the KMEs vs the Seagraves, I think the Seagraves look like  much stronger and more solid fire engines, but one can't judge from pictures alone.  The Seagraves  remind me much more of the old Macks.  Any thoughts?
I certainly agree with your sentiments.  However, what the department in the members think about equipment has a lot less influence on the decision of what they buy than the bottom line $s do!

The fact that KME used one of the Seagrave units as a model doesn't make me any happier with them either.

The KME pumpers for the most part are holding up,pretty good, I have had one since 2014 and it has only been OOS for one 5 week period and once in a while we get a fleet service rig for warranty repairs that have to be done on the KME, usually a 24 hour turn around, it is built to FDNY specs as was the seagrave pumpers, the cabs are higher on the KME  and it is a solid sturdy rig. I?ve heard complaints about turning radius and other minor things but again my experience has been good.

My company was one of the 2008 seagraves that were replaced early with a 2016 Kme .... both rigs are good and very similar ... I liked the seagrave a little better then the Kme because the seagrave had a much better turning radius... other then that our kme has been fine

I passed by KME's plant yesterday and their were no FDNY rigs outside. In fact  all that was outside was a rear mount aerial from Highland Falls which I think is New Jersey.

Bulldog

Bulldog
fdnycand89 said:
I liked the seagrave a little better then the Kme because the seagrave had a much better turning radius... other then that our kme has been fine
I've read that several other places, I'm surprised that the turning radius isn't part of the specifications.  When you consider how hard to maneuver around everything it is in the city you'd think it would be a big issue.

Can anyone tell me how many Seagraves rigs the FDNY is still running as Front line ? 312 in Queens is still running a Seagraves after the KME was destroyed in that crash. I have Pictures of that Rig after the crash. I could not load them here , but that tranny mount was cracked pretty bad. Going to be interesting to see how the KME'S hold up after 10 Years.   

I would say half the front line engines are 2008 09 10 seagraves and the other half 2014 15 and 16 Kmes

tperez102 said:
Can anyone tell me how many Seagraves rigs the FDNY is still running as Front line ? 312 in Queens is still running a Seagraves after the KME was destroyed in that crash. I have Pictures of that Rig after the crash. I could not load them here , but that tranny mount was cracked pretty bad. Going to be interesting to see how the KME'S hold up after 10 Years. 

ya, l think they got like 180 KME pumpers, all the towers are Seagraves, all the tillers are Seagraves, and a bunch or the rearmounts are still Seagraves ( older than 2010 -2011 Ferraras ).

The seagrave pumpers from 2008 are all in service except for the first 5 which were replaced by KME pumpers, the 2009 2010 and afew 2014 are all still in service. The rest of the first line pumpers are the KME units which started with the 2014 2015 2016 deliveries. The KME original order was for 91units not sure if there was an add on to this order. I have seen pics of a new Engine 312 up in the NYC area. I don?t believe any Seagrave Rearmount Aerials are in first line service, only as stated Tillers and Towers.

Nasibova said:
tperez102 said:

ya, l think they got like 180 KME pumpers, all the towers are Seagraves, all the tillers are Seagraves, and a bunch or the rearmounts are still Seagraves ( older than 2010 -2011 Ferraras ).

First order    91 KME 2000 GPM pumpers
New Award    82 over 3 years
Total            173

There are 198 engine companies  so after the new contract is delivered in 2021,  there would be 25 Seagraves left in service.  Hope all the data is correct  ;)  ;)

10 units 2019.......new reg #s from July 2018 will start... ( Fiscal budget )  with  REG #  KP 19001 ECT.

47 UNITS 2020.  Same as above except new.  REG # FROM JULY 2019 FISCIAL budget WITH KP 20001

25 UNITS. 2021.  Same as normal all trucks get me reg # after 2020 july fiscal budget.  Starting after July  2021

The FDNY pumpers from KME have been performing very well.  Most have had very little down time.  Yes, there have been a few KME pumpers with some issues but there were also plenty of Seagrave's and Ferrara's with issues as well.  The KME's have experienced far less issues than other manufacturers IMO.

Also, what the members want and think has absolutely no bearing over who gets awarded a bid.  It's strictly dollars and cents.

I believe delivery has already begun. Engine 312 has already been delivered and I think is already in service.

Hi,
last week, they had still their SP06001 Rig... A Firefighter told me, that GPS and Radio ist not installed yet..he thinks they will get it next year.

Greetings
Daniel