New FDNY Unit

HCO

Battalion 74, a Research and Development unit, has been placed in service.  The unit will respond to fires and emergencies to evaluate equipment and programs being studied by R&D, and will not have firefighting responsibilities.

so i guess they will use the call sign of battalion 74???,i wonder if they are going to be assigned a gmc unit or a older excursion, out of curiosity i wonder where will they be stationed.

this sounds kind of like a 9-5 unit with either older guys on there way out or guys on light duty. i doubt it will be a unit that responds. and might just be issued an administrative car

Hi all....Wanted to clarify the who and what of Battalion 74.

Battalion 74 is manned by members of R&D between 6am and 7pm. (Hopeing to add additional coverage time) We respond City Wide. Our Suburban is outfitted with the new EFAS system running on the MDT. For those unfamiliar with the EFAS system it stands for the Electronic Fireground Accountability System. The system was created by R&D with the help of a fantastic development company from Virginia. (The system is also running in Field Comm)

EFAS allows us to see WHO is transmitting at any given time by converting the 7 digit radio code into a Company and members position. In addition we are now able to hold multiple emergency alerts, unlike the FAST radio. There is also a roll call function that allows the IC to perform a roll call in a fraction of the time it now takes. We also built in a Spare Radio function that actually connects and downloads ALL the spare radios in service eliminating the need to ID a spare radio using the print out.

The reason we are operating as Battalion 74 is to prove out that the EFAS system can run on the MDT without causing issues with Starfire or the computer system. So far we have had ZERO issues. We hope to have this in all Battalion cars as soon as we get approval from downtown.

If you are at a job and see us or Field Comm stop in for a demo.

FDNY
Research and Development

mack

Administrator
Thanks FDNYRD.  Appreciate the explanation.  Sound like a great concept.  Good luck.

Sounds like a great system. Is this what the electronic command boards evolved into or is this a different concept?

This will become a part of the ECB. In other words...this will run on its own and broadcast any E/A to the ECB. When combined we will be able to tell where our members are (via the ECB) and their ID in case of an emergency. (via the EFAS System).