new rescues and pumpers

Why did the city let a contract to Ferrara for heavy rescues instead of KME? Also, what is the status of the 89 pumpers order?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Do you have information that the new rescues were actually ordered?  The bids were received a long time ago, I believe the bid prices are posted here somewhere, yet at last report no actual order had been placed.

Steve Bournias do u have any pending fdny orders for apparatus at this time?
LikeShow more reactions ? Reply ? November 12 at 9:23pm
Manage
Ferrara Fire Apparatus
Ferrara Fire Apparatus Yes...aerial ladders and rescue units
LikeShow more reactions ? Reply ? November 13 at 9:59am
Manage
Steve Bournias
Steve Bournias how many aerials please?
Like ? Reply ? November 13 at 10:12am

Ferrara proudly confirmed on Face Book that they will be manufacturing rescues and aerials for FDNY. Why? The city awards contracts to lowest bidders. KME was lower than Ferrara on the heavy rescues. What is the status of a pumper order for 89 trucks? Did KME get it or not? Why if they did is there no mention on their website and no reply to me on their Face Book page?

Interesting, in as much as the current Ferrara Rescues are not ten years old yet? I wander how the new Ferrara rescues will differ from the current ones? Why the early order? If there was such a massive issue with the original rescues as this order wpuld suggest, is it prudent for the city to go with the same supplier? Crew cabs maybe!! ??

I believe the standard replacement cycle for rescues is 7 years.  Crew cabs?  I doubt it very much.  Tried that with the HMEs . . . crews didn't like it.  They want to ride in the back.

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
I believe the standard replacement cycle for rescues is 7 years.  Crew cabs?  I doubt it very much.  Tried that with the HMEs . . . crews didn't like it.  They want to ride in the back.
Ray, I actually believe it's a 6 year cycle for the Rescues and Hazmats units, I tried to look it up but I couldn't find the information.  I certainly agree about the crew cabs, they tried that one time in the members really hated it.  In addition it made the trucks that much longer which cause problems.  The firefighters on the Rescues want to be in the back so they can get equipment ready before they arrive on the scene.

"Thank you for messaging KME. We will return you message soon addressing your question or request and thank you for choosing KME. KME Fire Apparatus http://kmefire.com/ "

Have requested confirmation of NYC order for 89 pumpers.

Ferara did get  the bid for the new rescues , and they are on a 7 year replacement .  They are in the proses of working out a few " line item "now.  Very little change in the new rigs from the 2011 models. No need to reinvent the wheel.  Hopeful to start building them soon.

Ok good. Why Ferrara and NOT KME? KME bid lower and has delivered 91 pumpers from 2014 till 2016 so why bypass them on the rescues?

You accepted KME Fire Apparatus's request.
8:17AM

Thank you for your question Steve. KME does have a contract but no trucks are currently on order under the contract. Have a nice day.