New Towers

E

eng1aux415

I was talking to my friend that works for seagrave. The fdny is specing tower ladders now but they won't be ordered till a year after the new 70 engines are finished. I have also heard that they are specing new rescue but idk what they are gonna buy.

eng1aux415 said:
I was talking to my friend that works for seagrave. The fdny is specing tower ladders now but they won't be ordered till a year after the new 70 engines are finished. I have also heard that they are specing new rescue but idk what they are gonna buy.

Thanks, when will the 70 engines all be delivered? i imagine the Tower Ladders wont arrive and be in service for a couple of years yet then..

Jarrod

eng1aux415 said:
within the next 3 years

Interesting, as i am under the impression that FDNY apparatus had to be replaced after 10 years frontline service, L31 seagrave tower, is a 1998 rig, due to be replaced this year, looks like it may overun by a couple of years!! if they are allowed to do that..??

jarrod

E

eng1aux415

due to cut backs in the fdny's budget. They had stop ordering new engines and only truck to try to update their fleat but now it caught up to them and now their trying to figure how to due both so they ordering 70 new engines to replace and update the engine fleat. After that they need to update the rescues as so with the trucks. I give it 4 years and they will start coming in. I know that tower ladder 12 is the only truck that might get replaced with a new tower ladder due to the fact it was in a MVA with Squad 18. Their is also a replacement Squad 18 being purchased due to their rig was demolished in the crash so they might experiment and maybe they will get a model cimilary but not i dentical.

Was under the impression that 13 TL's are on order due in beginning of Spring 2009, there are some 1997 TL's still in first line service. L21,L46 and L138 are supposed to be getting these new TL's, the Rescues have not been put out to bid yet so i've heard.

I too believed that they were getting them late March early April. I dont think there gonna wait 3-4 years do deliver them. Those 97 and 98 are old and really beat up and the FDNY has a small fleet of Towers as spare so I think they will start getting them in March-April

Remember it took 12/13 years to replace the 1994 FWD towers, and they were in pretty bad shape.  As long as the engine still runs and the bucket doesn't shale too much it's probably going to be on the streets somewhere.

eng1aux415 said:
due to cut backs in the fdny's budget. They had stop ordering new engines and only truck to try to update their fleat but now it caught up to them and now their trying to figure how to due both so they ordering 70 new engines to replace and update the engine fleat. After that they need to update the rescues as so with the trucks. I give it 4 years and they will start coming in. I know that tower ladder 12 is the only truck that might get replaced with a new tower ladder due to the fact it was in a MVA with Squad 18. Their is also a replacement Squad 18 being purchased due to their rig was demolished in the crash so they might experiment and maybe they will get a model cimilary but not i dentical.

i would have though they would purchase rigs with federal grants as opposed to the city footing the bill well that was my thinking

Nothing definative then, maybe this year, maybe in a few years, maybe some new rescues, maybe not... maybe a new squad, maybe not...

Guess we shall have to wait and see, i would assume that nything not ordered before the big crunch hit, will not be ordered until things calm down and we all know where we stand as far as money is concerned, so apparatus may be on the streets longer than they should be for the near future at least.

Any federal grants, i would assume would go on a new Squad rig, as it has to be replaced if it is written off, and the new Tower Ladder for L12, in the same situation, anything else, if it works, it works!!

Jarrod

You know in these crazy times anything could happen. You know the bean counters don't care if its a tower ladder a tiller or a rearmount. Remember what happened to Ladder 40. Once a tiller and was given a rearmount. Because of the guys not wanting a rearmount they did eventually get a new tiller. Also they may have a newer tower ladder assigned to Chauffeur school or BOT and just switch it out. Then again who knows what will happen.

I remember a story of Ladder 111 in the late 70's early 80's using a pickup truck because no spare ladder was available. I always wanted to know if this was true. If someone can confirm it would be great.

If you read Brookly 75-1769 today, you will see that Tower Ladder 107 had a severe hydraulic leak and will most likely be out of service.  Also Tower Ladder 157 is operating with a spare, but as a rear mount, not a Tower.  Where o where have all the Towers gone???????

Who out there remembers when Tower Ladder 1 was the only Tower Ladder in the entire FDNY???????? I believe the second company to get one was Tower Ladder 105.

Picked up from a reliable source, via email, TL31 and TL23 and TL21 will not be replaced this year, or even next year. There are more pressing apparatus issues out there, and TL31/23/21 isnt one of them.

Maybe as a cost saving measure, TL-12`s cab could just be replaced like TL-41's was after their cab fire. This could aslo work for Squad 18 since its only a few years old and only the cab was damaged. Just a thought.

Bulldog

Bulldog
johnd248 said:
If you read Brookly 75-1769 today, you will see that Tower Ladder 107 had a severe hydraulic leak and will most likely be out of service.  Also Tower Ladder 157 is operating with a spare, but as a rear mount, not a Tower.  Where o where have all the Towers gone???????
In most cases a hydraulic leak while messy is not a major problem to repair.  Most are ruptured hydraulic hoses and are able to be repaired quite quickly, in the worst case a hydraulic cylinder may require replacement but again that is not the terrible job.

L14 was the second tower ladder. The thinking was they could cover upper Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx from their quarters in Harlem near the Triborough Bridge.

londonfireguy said:
Picked up from a reliable source, via email, TL31 and TL23 and TL21 will not be replaced this year, or even next year. There are more pressing apparatus issues out there, and TL31/23/21 isnt one of them.
  Add TL54 to that list....they also had a major leak!!

johnd248 said:
Who out there remembers when Tower Ladder 1 was the only Tower Ladder in the entire FDNY???????? I believe the second company to get one was Tower Ladder 105.
  Actually TL14 was the second one in 1966 then 44, 105 & 127 in 1969 ;)