New Yonkers FD Tower Ladders Arrive **Pics Included**

J

JuniorBuff88

The New American LaFrance Eagle Tower Ladders Have Arrived At The Yonkers Fire Department Special Operations Building. Check The Pics Out: Credit To YFDFireBuff

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565525835NpQmTR

What was wrong with their old ones? Ladder 75 is only a 2002, and 71 is a 1998. Are the new ones really needed?

its yonkers what do you expect!!! gotta keep those taxes nice and high for a reason right.    corrupt city to the extremes

RPM3311 said:
What was wrong with their old ones? Ladder 75 is only a 2002, and 71 is a 1998. Are the new ones really needed?
If you have the chance to get new and better ones why wouldent you

J

JuniorBuff88

The Current Tower Ladders Are Beaten Up. They Have Had Multiple Problems. Half Of 2008 They Have Been Running Spares.

J

JuniorBuff88

squarewheels said:
its yonkers what do you expect!!! gotta keep those taxes nice and high for a reason right.    corrupt city to the extremes
Thats Really Unecesary

Wish FDNY would start getting new rigs in our job. We have 1997 TL'S still in service as regular rigs and from what I heard new ones have been sent back with problems. Yonkers has been aggressive in replacing all frontline rigs and keeping spares in shape. Not sure what has happened in FDNY but band aids and duct tape are holding many of our spares a together, even the new pumpers have not been given out yet for some reasons. Kudos to Yonkers for taking a 1990 open cab TL out when these rigs go in service, FDNY still has 1988 spare TL'S that caused serious injury to member who fell from rig.

FDNYE54 said:
RPM3311 said:
If you have the chance to get new and better ones why wouldent you

You make it sound like they're getting them for free and they're not, with today's economy I think they might need to save that money, put it to better use raise the firemen's salary or hold on to it until they really need it.

Yonkers has a better salary than FDNY right now and a few hours less per week, the economy in yonkers seems to be holding and why not get new apparatus in use rather than wait until they cause injury or death if not working properly. Proactive replacement is better than reactive. ALl yonkers pumpers are less than 3 years old I believe. Just look at neighboring depts. in westchester and see the rotten condition of fleets. (Mt. Vernon comes to mind).

Bulldog

Bulldog
mac8146 said:
Yonkers has a better salary than FDNY right now and a few hours less per week, the economy in yonkers seems to be holding and why not get new apparatus in use rather than wait until they cause injury or death if not working properly. Proactive replacement is better than reactive. ALl yonkers pumpers are less than 3 years old I believe. Just look at neighboring depts. in westchester and see the rotten condition of fleets. (Mt. Vernon comes to mind).
Proactive is one thing, having all frontline apparatus less than three years old is ridiculous.  The taxpayers shouldn't have to finance this type of overindulgence in a department or service.  If the city is taking in too much money they should cut the taxes instead of finding ways to spend it!  The fire service needs good equipment, not Cadillacs.

Bulldog why is it ridiculous to have better fire equipment (less than 3yrs. old) than relying on older well worn apparatus. ALF rigs are by no means cadillacs, they are fire apparatus used in a fairly busy department. Not saying Yonkers is rolling in the money but in todays economy it a nice to see a department upgrading and possibly expanding in the future, not cutting budget, companies or manpower.

They are doing this so that they can have better spare TL's before these current ones are too beat up. They are going to get rid of the 90 open cab Mack (will be missed).  This way they can put these into reserve and have two pretty good spares.  I think its a good plan by YFD.  It is better than getting new ladders in a few years and then have  your TL spares in bad shape. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
I was referring to all the engine companies being less than three years old, not necessarily these two towers although looking at how they are configured (just look at the front bumper) it doesn't look like much expense was spared when these units were spec'd.  I don't think any other major city has all of their frontline equipment this new!  Not that it's bad but it certainly doesn't look like they have great fiscal responsibility for me taxpayers point of view.

OK- The oldest pumpers right now are (3) rigs that are 6-years old. TL-71's rig is going on 10-years old, and since I work in that house, I can tell you it's beaten up- They ran a spare for 1/2 of 2008. The rig before that (Mack) ran for 15-years before being replaced, and that was too long ! The Chief was able to tack on 75's rig to order because in 2009 the new emissions will be required in the rigs, which will make the price go quite a bit more. The spare 90' Mack has seen better days, and was refurbished once already a few years ago. For many years we ran junk (ie:the Continentals) which would break down often. The Chief in charge now, who worked with all the garbage, swore it wouldn't happen again- and was able to secure funding for replacements. I remember riding in a station wagon as a spare engine numerous times a few years back, and when we had no Truck spares- so we bought a 1956 screw down jack mid-mount !

R1 glad you spoke the facts, I am glad Yonkers has leadership with foresight to see future issuesin pricing, not wasting taxpayer money. Not sure what has happened with FDNY lately but rigs are over 10years old in front line service, some with no replacements on order(TowerLadders). The new pumpers which have a significant change to them are still not being put in service my Engine is 10 years old and over 110,000 miles on it and it has been OOS for months during its tenure. Anyway good luck with new rigs.

why are people making such a big deal of yonkers getting new tower ladders Just cause they had a chance to get new tower ladders even though there old ones are 3 years old FDNY si getting new trucks its just going to take a bit longer

Probably people are surprised because you just dont see it very often these days. Most cities are lucky if the see new rigs every 10 years. Im in Worcester and the front line ladders are

TL1  1998 MMT
L2    1992/1974 trailer TDA
TL3  2007/1975 boom
L4    1994  RM
L5    1989 TDA
L6    2007 RM
TL7    2007  RMT

Spare TL-1972 Mack/Baker!!
Spare Ladder-1990/1969 trailer TDA!!

jeepcj85 said:
Probably people are surprised because you just dont see it very often these days. Most cities are lucky if the see new rigs every 10 years. Im in Worcester and the front line ladders are

TL1  1998 MMT
L2    1992/1974 trailer TDA
TL3  2007/1975 boom
L4    1994  RM
L5     1989 TDA
L6     2007 RM
TL7    2007  RMT

Spare TL-1972 Mack/Baker!!
Spare Ladder-1990/1969 trailer TDA!!

Your right Im not in a big city yet but where i am the ladders are mostley from the 80's and 90's
we made up for it by getting starting to get all new engines