Numbers on apparatus

Just a quick question about the numbers on the doors of various trucks. I've noticed that some company's numbers have a different color than White on their trucks. E-23, E-96, TL-58, L-10 to name a few. On my Dept. we are not authorized to change from the large, White, reflective numbers as they are used for company identification on large scenes. Are they allowed to use any color number that they want? I think having them all the same, White, looks better. Just my opinion. Thanks.

Ladder 58 and Eng 96?s numbers were white but were discolored due to the heavy volume of fire duty in their area.  Not to be rude but seriously, the job is in mourning......check back in a few weeks regarding insignificant apparatus decals. 

Considering that "columbusfire" may be writing from outside New York, I think some slack might be cut in this instance.  News from here, no matter how dire, doesn't necessarily carry across the nation.

manhattan said:
Considering that "columbusfire" may be writing from outside New York, I think some slack might be cut in this instance.  News from here, no matter how dire, doesn't necessarily carry across the nation.

Thanks "manhattan". I think "columbusfire" certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone during these very tough times for the members of the FDNY and their families.

I don't really know the answer to his question, but I sure hope somebody can help him.

I notice that he is fairly new to this site. Besides maybe a few other people here might be interested in an answer to his simple question.

"columbusfire" talks about "on my department". I assume therefore that he is a BROTHER FIREFIGHTER in perhaps Columbus, Ohio. If that is true, several years ago I made a visit to the Columbus, Ohio Fire dept. Those guys treated me great at every station I stopped at (about 6 all together).

But wherever you "columbusfire" are a firefighter, welcome and I'm sure that one of the Brothers/Sisters or even buffs will be able to help you.

The FDNY has certainly suffered over the last couple of days, no doubt about that. I think we all understand that. I have good friends that worked with some of these Brothers who are no longer with us.

But maybe a Brother Firefighter from outside the area deserves a break too. 

nfd2004 said:
manhattan said:

Thanks "manhattan". I think "columbusfire" certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone during these very tough times for the members of the FDNY and their families.

I don't really know the answer to his question, but I sure hope somebody can help him.

I notice that he is fairly new to this site. Besides maybe a few other people here might be interested in an answer to his simple question.

"columbusfire" talks about "on my department". I assume therefore that he is a BROTHER FIREFIGHTER in perhaps Columbus, Ohio. If that is true, several years ago I made a visit to the Columbus, Ohio Fire dept. Those guys treated me great at every station I stopped at (about 6 all together).

But wherever you "columbusfire" are a firefighter, welcome and I'm sure that one of the Brothers/Sisters or even buffs will be able to help you.

The FDNY has certainly suffered over the last couple of days, no doubt about that. I think we all understand that. I have good friends that worked with some of these Brothers who are no longer with us.

Well said Bill  8)

nfd2004 said:
manhattan said:

I understand both sides. I will say this, a little bit of me dies when I hear of a LODD or one related to the occupational hazards of the job. Regardless the color of the uniform, gear or location of the department, we all share the common bond.

Greetings everyone. I did serve on the Columbus, Ohio Fire Dept. for 36 years and retired recently. I still miss the action, the fun, and the guys. That's why I check out this site a lot. Our last LODD was in 1987, and it was also a basement fire in a large downtown building.( I was there ) The FF fell thru a hole in the floor that may have been cut by the arsonist to spread the fire quicker. Sadly the torch was never caught. The Harlem story was National news, so I did know about it. I just wasn't thinking when I posted my question. No disrespect meant. My wife and I are going to make a trip soon to see the Freedom tower and stop in at some lower Manhattan stations. Much respect and admiration. Prayers and condolences, especially the for his children. Thanks brothers. Always stay safe.

Welcome to the site, Columbus.  Hope you enjoy it and will share some of your 36 years of experience and knowledge with us.

Welcome to the site Columbus. I think the numbers you are referring to is the companies customizing their rigs to make them stand out. Check out the site FDNYtrucks.com to see how different companies do it.

The department allows some customization. They even will produce some of it, especially when getting a new rig.

Thanks everyone. I have been on FDNYTrucks a lot! I love the White on Red with the 3 stripes that all of the trucks have. You may not know it, but Seagrave was started in Columbus! Our apparatus is OK, mostly Sutphen engines,1500GPM/750gal but a fairly newer fleet. We/they do have duel axles on the tractor of all of the tillers, which is kind of different. Better traction-lock together in snow-and better braking. The tillers have lots of compartment space, so they are very heavy, loaded down with tools. Our aerial platforms are Sutphen 100 ft. and most guys don't like them. They are local, so that's what they buy. I forgot to mention that the LODD in 1987, the FF was set to retire in 6 months. He was the last fire related death, there have been others from heart issues and of course, cancer.