NYPD Going Encrypted. Next Is FDNY?

Yesterday the NYPD started to try out their digital radio system, encrypted channels, with switching over some of it's Brooklyn North precincts to a P25 system.

Next is the NYPD SOD (ESU) to switch over, and slowly the entire department will be on this system.

This is a terrible news for all Buffs out here and all over, in many ways of mean.

The question is if the FDNY will do the same in the next period of time?

Citizen Ap doesn’t help putting the audio out to everyone to hear… it’s different when it’s buffs but when you give it to anyone to hear…. That’s what ruined it…
And cheap radios have flooded the market. Once upon a time a scanner or 2-way radio were at least a few hundred. Now anyone can buy a 2-way on Amazon for 30 bucks. I have a BCD996 P2 and a HT1250 LS+ those 2 radios cost me a nice piece of change. The apps are another story. Too much access and the hobbyist gets f****d.

And cheap radios have flooded the market. Once upon a time a scanner or 2-way radio were at least a few hundred. Now anyone can buy a 2-way on Amazon for 30 bucks. I have a BCD996 P2 and a HT1250 LS+ those 2 radios cost me a nice piece of change. The apps are another story. Too much access and the hobbyist gets f****d.
From what I hear those cheap radios are illegal because you can key up on any channel. But I am not 100% sure cause I only have Motorola & Uniden radios.

From what I hear those cheap radios are illegal because you can key up on any channel. But I am not 100% sure cause I only have Motorola & Uniden radios.
They’re only illegal IF you key up. I own one, as I’m working on my HAM radio license. They’re perfectly legal until you key up without your FCC license.

Sad, and it's all around the country. Look at radio reference - less and less agencies available as time passes. The media was partly to blame, all attempting to outdo each other and releasing info that was damaging to PD and FD operations. Social Media is partly to blame as keyboard commandos posted info that gave them their 15 minutes of fame..... info regarding critical PD and FD operations as well as info regarding members that were hurt or in grave condition. This often gave the departments very little if any time to get someone out to the injured member's family before the news broke. Lastly, and probably the straw that broke the camel's back were anarchists using cheap Beofang radios tuned to police frequencies/talk groups to jam radio communications during riots in NYC, Portland, LA and Minneapolis among other places. I truly hate to see our ability to monitor disappearing, but I totally understand why.

Bulldog

Bulldog
The police department here in Louisville did something very interesting. They went encryption about a year ago but realizes citizens wanted to hear their communications. What they did was put up scanner feeds of their own with a 15 minute delay to avoid having citizens interfering with incidents. They felt having the audio available to citizens was a good move to avoid receiving negative input because of their "secrecy"!

The police department here in Louisville did something very interesting. They went encryption about a year ago but realizes citizens wanted to hear their communications. What they did was put up scanner feeds of their own with a 15 minute delay to avoid having citizens interfering with incidents. They felt having the audio available to citizens was a good move to avoid receiving negative input because of their "secrecy"!
an excellent idea

its gonna take a while . there is to many radios and apparatus radios to deal with
Keep in mind this is the reason mother M's OTAP (over the air programming) exists

WIRELESS CODEPLUG PROGRAMMING
Update two-way radios over-the-air via the ASTRO 25 IV&D network anytime / anywhere within the radio's coverage area.

FULL RADIO CONFIGURATION CONTROL
Utilize the familiar Customer Programming Software (CPS) to perform updates over-the-air. POP25 provides access to all configuration parameters programmable through the traditional programming software.

DOWNLOAD WITHOUT LOSS OF COMMUNICATION
Users retain full use of the radio during configuration data transfer. Radio voice calls will always take priority over data transfers, ensuring POP25 will not interfere with users' ability to communicate.

FLEXIBLE CONFIGURATION UPDATE
Once the configuration update has been downloaded to the two-way radio, the radio user has the ability to install the new changes right away or delay the installation until the next time the radio is powered up.

EASY TO USE
POP25 has been designed to be very easy to use for technicians and radio users alike; minimal training is required.

SIMULTANEOUS UPDATES
Update multiple two-way radios at the same time via multiple programming stations.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I am not happy to tell you that the change can come as quick as within 10 to 30 minutes for FDNY. All the new radios are already to go that's right!
FDNY already has all the needed equipment in place. The radios were manufactured with the encryption in them both portable & mobile. All they need to do is activate the program and transmit a message within the department to turn your department radios on. With over the air programing its done within minutes. That simple!!!

I am not happy to tell you that the change can come as quick as within 10 to 30 minutes for FDNY. All the new radios are already to go that's right!
FDNY already has all the needed equipment in place. The radios were manufactured with the encryption in them both portable & mobile. All they need to do is activate the program and transmit a message within the department to turn your department radios on. With over the air programing its done within minutes. That simple!!!
I understand the need for secrecy in a small number of incidents, such as members hurt or something that would be dangerous to the public, such as an IED in a building. But we all monitor fire freqs, do we really have to encrypt calls such as "Engine 24 respond to an outside fire at 36 Washington Street, or Ladder 11 a man down at 138 Chestnut Hill Ave". Doesn't a "repeater off" message be as effective? Just my 2 cents worth.

Unfortunately the borough radio isn’t all that’s monitored anymore, people listen to the fireground Handi Talkie communications and then put it out on social media. Recent serious and fatal injuries were out on social media before even the families were notified. Encryption of on scene transmissions is something that should be done. Listening to size up and fire traffic on borough is ok because of the ability to use mixer off if needed.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the need for secrecy in a small number of incidents, such as members hurt or something that would be dangerous to the public, such as an IED in a building. But we all monitor fire freqs, do we really have to encrypt calls such as "Engine 24 respond to an outside fire at 36 Washington Street, or Ladder 11 a man down at 138 Chestnut Hill Ave". Doesn't a "repeater off" message be as effective? Just my 2 cents worth.
The mobile radio channel can be very easily be intercepted. All you have to do is be close to the transmission site. There is no security in a mixer off transmission. Encrypt is total security.

Thank you "Atlas".

Unfortunately, for us scanner guys all those expensive scanners that many of us bought to pick up that new 800 digital system just might have been a waste of money.

Recently while visiting a friend in Providence, RI., I learned that ALL of the Police Departments in the entire State of Rhode Island have gone encrypt.

Many here in Connecticut are also now encrypt.

Atlas, as you have told us here, all it takes is a push of a button and we can no longer tune in to our favorite departments when they change over to 800 digital frequencies.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you "Atlas".

Unfortunately, for us scanner guys all those expensive scanners that many of us bought to pick up that new 800 digital system just might have been a waste of money.

Recently while visiting a friend in Providence, RI., I learned that ALL of the Police Departments in the entire State of Rhode Island have gone encrypt.

Many here in Connecticut are also now encrypt.

Atlas, as you have told us here, all it takes is a push of a button and we can no longer tune in to our favorite departments when they change over to 800 digital frequencies.
Encryption can be applied to any radio frequency who it is authorized. It is not to be used on interstate mutual channels. For nfd2004. just reprogram your scanner & listen to some of the other bands. You can also listen to all the orders that the drive in window is receiving at McDonalds!!!

The small towns here because of their small size have encrypted. East Brunswick and Spotswood to name a couple. And this isn't a place where much goes on but I'm figuring the lower cost of less radios to upgrade is a factor. Its annoying when you want to monitor but these frequencies aren't too busy.