Old NYC Amusement Parks

I remember going to Freedomland as a kid. My favorite thing there was "The Chicago Fire". We would pull out a hand pumper and all us young firefighters would start to pump the rig by hand. We would watch the fire be put out in the building. It was Great. Then I think there was a train ride and the bad guys came in to hold up the passengers.

I don't think I-95 was done when we went there. I think our radiator overheated in the car on the trip in New Rochelle, from Bridgeport, Ct.

I didn't watch the video yet, but I will now.

Thanks "mack".

And there was "Fairyland" on the corner(s) of Queens Blvd. & 59th Avenue thru 57th Avenue where now stands the Queens Mall.

I think Palisades Park should qualify as a NY amusement park, even if it was across the river.  After all, where do the Giants play?

BTW, I had some great times there as a teenager.

memory master said:
And there was "Fairyland" on the corner(s) of Queens Blvd. & 59th Avenue thru 57th Avenue where now stands the Queens Mall.
I actually just mentioned "Fairyland" in my speech at the FH Centennial last week ....it was  one of my first ventures into Elmhust as a kid in the early '50s...later i shined shoes almost across the street from it then years after when in 108 we interchanged w/136 then another 25 yrs later i was assigned to the FH as a BC.....i still have 2 Fairyland tickets .......the only remaining space formerly a parking lot opposite the newer part of the QNS Center Mall is slated to become the site of three different chain restaurants. 

Just gotta say their were several great parks around Boston. Revere Beach, lots of good times, but many Revere jakes spent a long night on the boardwalk. Nantasket Beach, s of Boston was different, you could take the ferry. Just saying!

mack said:
Rye Playland in Rye NY - outside of NYC but close - was a pioneer since it was completely designed prior to being built. This was first for the time period. Playland is still active today.

Is the Dragon coaster still there?

https://untappedcities.com/2018/03/05/rare-color-photos-of-freedomland-nycs-grandiose-lost-amusement-park/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=3b45128b1b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_6_6_2019_11_58_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c04245c7de-3b45128b1b-1204374881

Rare Color Photos of Freedomland, NYC?s Grandiose Lost Amusement Park 

I remember Buddy's (Buddies?) near Flatbush and Utica Avenues.
Also a small park on Emmons Avenue in Sheepshead Bay, and Nellie Bly's off the eastbound Belt Parkway approaching Cropsey Avenue.

Not NYC but if you are out East the Carousel in the Greenport Village is a great attraction....it has the old school brass ring which if grabbed gets you a free ride which is normally 2 bucks ....a nice atmosphere there ....unfortunately right now due to the hunan virus it is temporarily closed..... check the 19 photos in this link ....    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47827-d8453905-Reviews-Antique_Carousel-Greenport_North_Fork_Long_Island_New_York.html