Oldest FDNY Company?

Can anyone advise which FDNY company is the oldest continuously serving company in the city and in Manhattan?  Is it also E-26 which is in the oldest continuously active firehouse in Manhattan?  Thanks. I did a search and saw oldest firehouses but not continuously active companies.

It's probably Eng. 3 although I've read somewhere it is Eng. 5. Engine 1 was disbanded from 1868 to 1873.

mack

Administrator
I think the oldest paid fire companies in NYC would be the early NY Fire Patrol which preceded the paid Metropolitan Fire Department in the 1860s.  NYFP was run by the NY Board of Fire Underwriters from 1839 to 2006 when deactivated. 

You may be right, Mack, when speaking of paid companies. But Engine 1 and Engine 2 were formed in 1731, when the first fire apparatus in the United States were purchased.  Two hand-drawn pumpers were purchased.  All citizens were required to respond whenever there was a fire, and they operated under the supervision of the Aldermen. 

The city's first firehouse was built in 1736 in front of City Hall on Broad Street. A year later, on December 16, 1737, the colony's General Assembly created the Volunteer Fire Department of the City of New York, appointing 30 men who would remain on call in exchange for exemption from jury and militia duty. The city's first official firemen were required to be "able, discreet, and sober men who shall be known as Firemen of the City of New York, to be ready for service by night and by day and be diligent, industrious and vigilant." They used the two pumpers mentioned above.

Although the 1737 Act created the basis of the fire department, the actual legal entity was incorporated in the State of New York on March 20, 1798 under the name of "Fire Department, City of New York."

Source: Heroes of Ground Zero. FDNY A History". Public Broadcasting Service, May 3, 2015.

mack

Administrator
raybrag said:
You may be right, Mack, when speaking of paid companies. But Engine 1 and Engine 2 were formed in 1731, when the first fire apparatus in the United States were purchased.  Two hand-drawn pumpers were purchased.  All citizens were required to respond whenever there was a fire, and they operated under the supervision of the Aldermen. 

The city's first firehouse was built in 1736 in front of City Hall on Broad Street. A year later, on December 16, 1737, the colony's General Assembly created the Volunteer Fire Department of the City of New York, appointing 30 men who would remain on call in exchange for exemption from jury and militia duty. The city's first official firemen were required to be "able, discreet, and sober men who shall be known as Firemen of the City of New York, to be ready for service by night and by day and be diligent, industrious and vigilant." They used the two pumpers mentioned above.

Although the 1737 Act created the basis of the fire department, the actual legal entity was incorporated in the State of New York on March 20, 1798 under the name of "Fire Department, City of New York."

Source: Heroes of Ground Zero. FDNY A History". Public Broadcasting Service, May 3, 2015.

You are very correct Raybrag. The lineage of FDNY companies runs deep.  Early FDNY companies in all boros were often organized in former volunteer firehouses, used former volunteer equipment, hose and apparatus, purchased volunteers' horses, and often were staffed by former volunteer firefighters who could meet new FDNY standards.  FDNY units also were organized from paid Brooklyn Fire Dept and paid Long Island City Fire Dept companies.  There are many years of fires, major incidents, dedicated members and LODDs - history that remains unknown. 

I have a Brooklyn question and a general service question. When did the last member of the old Brooklyn FD retire from service with the FDNY? Also, what is the longest generational chain of members of the FDNY to anyone's knowledge. Dates of service would be great. Thanks

The generational chain as far as i know is my old captain still active 4th generation firefighter no time gap. He also is the best boss i ever had the pleasure of working with and moulded me into the fireman i am today.

lucky said:
My son is a fourth generation fireman and firefighter going back to 1906.

Congratulations "lucky". I've heard of Three Generations of Firefighters in a family BUT Never Four. A lot of changes from just one generation of firefighters to the next when it comes to the way firefighters fight fires and perform their jobs.

But in your case of four generations and OVER 100 years of fighting fires, many of us wish they could just talk, as we listen.

Engine 26 was temporarily disbanded in 1975 so they can't be the longest continuously serving firehouse or the longest continuously serving company.

lucky said:
My son is a fourth generation fireman and firefighter going back to 1906.
Congratulations! Do you know the dates of service for each generation and where they served?

mack

Administrator
Engine 6, Engine 7 and Ladder 1 were organized September 8, 1865.  They may be the oldest continuously active FDNY companies because older companies were disbanded and had breaks in service.  Engine 1 was organized July 1, 1865 so they would probably be the oldest, but they were disbanded 1868-1873 as G-Man noted. These are dates listed by Mike Boucher in his history.

According to "Our Firemen", Metropolitan Seam Engine 1 went into service July 31, 1865 as the first paid company at 4 Centre Street with a steamer and a hose tender in a former volunteer firehouse.  The Foreman (Captain) was William Corgan.  One of the original members was Robert Wintringham, who would be the first department LODD. Never forget.

Ladder Company 1 Manhattan was formed July 10, 1772 as Mutual H&L 1 and disbanded in 1776. It was reorganized June 16, 1784 and has not lost its organization during its existence for a single day from that organization. When the paid Department was created in 1865, H&L Company 1 was established on September 8,1865 remaining in the same Chambers St Firehouse, the same truck, the same red fronts and 9 of the 12 Members remained. The Company has remained in continuous service since June 16, 1784. In that 240 years H&L 1 has been quartered on Fair St 16 years; Whitehall St 23 years; Beaver St 19 years; Chambers St 63 years and Duane St 119 years. The photo is Chambers St at Centre St. with subway construction.Chambers St 28 - 32 H&L 1.jpgChambers St 28 - 32 H&L 1.jpg

Last edited: