OUR LADY OF ANGELS

Today was the 65th Anniversary of the tragic fire in Chicago at Our Lady of Angels School. May those lost that day continue to Rest in Eternal Peace. May those who responded to the fire, and are no longer with us, also continue to Rest in Peace as well as family members who have passed on. May responders and family members who are still with us continue to be comforted.

Today was the 65th Anniversary of the tragic fire in Chicago at Our Lady of Angels School. May those lost that day continue to Rest in Eternal Peace. May those who responded to the fire, and are no longer with us, also continue to Rest in Peace as well as family members who have passed on. May responders and family members who are still with us continue to be comforted.
Thank you for posting 1261. One of the pivotal fires of the last century.

"To Sleep With the Angels" by David Cowen and John Kuester is the definitive recounting of the Our Lady of the Angels fire. It was published in 1996; there were still a couple CFD members still OTJ who made the fire as rookies. There was also a lot of others involved still alive. I got to talk to Hal Bruno about that day-he was "fanning" at Squad 2 on Aberdeen Street and made it to an adjacent roof at the school.

Briefly. The arson caused fire was started in a trash barrel in the basement of the rear stairway of the two story school. It rapidly spread up the open stairs. By the time the occupants of the six classrooms on the north wing second floor realized what was happening, they were already trapped. The windows were then the only exit and some of the children were too small to get on the window sills.

The first call to Main Fire Alarm came from the candy store next door. They were given the wrong address. Engine 85, Truck 35, Squad 6, Battalion18, and Fire Patrol 7 were stilled to 3808 West Iowa Street- around the corner. A deluge of frantic callers caused Main to transmit Box 5182 -Chicago and Hamblin Avenues.

Engine 85 arrived promptly from their quarters five blocks away and began a 2 1/2" hose stretch to the fire at the rear alley while the officer. Lieutenant Stanley Wojnicki, screamed to the kids to hold on. 85's Engineer called for the 2-11, riveting everyone's attention when he added- '''kids are trapped on the second floor. They're jumping from windows."

First due Truck 35 arrived at the wrong address and was directed around the corner by distraught parents who already filled the street. 35's broke down a locked fence gate and threw a 36' ladder to the second floor. At the top Lieutenant Charles Kamin grabbed kids as quickly as he could, tossing them down the ladder until the room flashed over. The box assignment had barely arrived on the fireground and the rescue window of time was now closed.

Battalion Chief 18 Miles Devine sent in a 5-11 after the roof collapsed, but it would only be for extinguishment and recovery.

Still Alarm 1442 hours
Box 5182 1444 hours
2-11 5182 1447 hours
5-11 5182 1457 hours

That Christmas season in Chicago would be grim, particularly for the victim's families and the members of the proud Chicago Fire Department. Big city firefighters still lived in the neighborhoods they protected. Regardless of the reason, they had failed.

To follow: The next morning at 121 North La Salle Street, Room 105.

Shift change was at 0800 Tuesday morning. Commissioner Robert Quinn had not arrived at the school until after 3 o'clock (he was out his office on the 2-11). To gain a complete understanding of what occurred before he got there, Quinn ordered all members on the still assignment to his office at 9:00 am (18 hours after the first alarm).

The misery was not quite over.

His office was filled with exhausted men and his command staff. A host of reporters were parked outside. It would be a transcribed deposition.. Quinn was as tough a fireman as you could find who loved his city and the CFD. AS a member of the Bridgeport Irish mafia, he was loyal to his boss- Mayor Daley. He was also well known to have an abrasive management style.

Quinn- "There's going to be a million reporters in here. I don't want any bullshit. I want answers, That's why you're down here."

Starting off, Lt. Kamin describes to Quinn the actions his truck crew performed. Next, Lt. Wojnicki relates hooking up on Avers Avenue and stretching into the rear stairwell.

Quinn- "You saw fire in the stairwell?"
Wojnicki- "Yes. It was roaring. It was going straight up. I figured it had to be the seat of the fire."

"Did you try to get any of these kids out?"
"Not at that time. We were too busy with the line."

"What do you mean you were 'too busy with the line'? You're saying you pull up and you've got kids hanging out of the goddam windows, and you didn't try to get kids out? You dumb sonovabitch! What the hell's the matter with you?
"I knew I had the truck coming in behind me. We tried making those stairs, to get up inside there. There was just too much fire for us to get in."

One of the Deputy Chiefs chimes in-" Lieutenant, you say you attacked the fire in the stairwell, that the flames were going up the stairs. Do you suppose you assisted in pushing the flames up the stairwell by directing your hose line in there?"
"No, I think we saved a lot of kids by knocking down that fire in the stairway, I know we did. I don't know what else I could have done."

Chief Fire Marshal Raymond Daley (in charge of the uniformed force) then defuses the situation.
To Wojnicki- "Considering the circumstances, I don't know how the hell you did what you did do."
To Quinn- "That was his job. He did his job, For chrissakes, those people were grabbin' at him. What more do you want?"

Quinn- "All right"

Ten days after the fire the Cook County Coroner convened a public inquest at a downtown auditorium. Reporters and news cameras from all over the world were in front. About 300 spectators with many bereaved parents were behind.

Lt. Wojnicki, in his Class A Uniform was the only witness from the still alarm companies. While describing his actions several crying parents had to be helped from the room. Afterwards, there were no questions.

But Wojnicki, shaking and choking, was not finished.

"I want to say this. There would have been more deaths if we didn't act as fast as we did with the help of civilians and nuns and parents. By the time I got my hose out, the truck was throwing up ladders. People don't realize the work of the Fire Department, We did the best we could. It is a scene that I will never forget in my lifetime."

The book authors were not able to interview Lt. Wojnicki. Years after the fire, he and his wife died in an automobile accident.

This past September, the Chicago PBS TV Station WTTW, broadcast an updated video of the fire titled "Angels Too Soon" It contains much of the original footage from the fire plus new interviews with a number of the grown survivors. Members of other PBS Stations (like Thirteen) are able to view the PBS "Passport" streaming service. The documentary is found on Passport in WTTW's Chicago Stories series. It may also still be available at this link https://interactive.wttw.com/chicago-stories/angels-too-soon/video?v=full-ep

Was no 3-11 and 4-11 transmitted or did the Battalion decided to jump from the 2-11 to the 5-11 due to the conditions inside the building?

I would guess Ken Little had the radio tapes.

"Battalion 18 to Main! We've got a roof collapse. Occupants are trapped. Gimme a five-eleven!"

"Battalion 18 say again?"

"I said five-eleven! And don't knock it down. Gimme a five-eleven for Box Five-One-Eight-Two!"

"Okay Battalion 18, we'll give you a five-eleven."

"A five-eleven alarm fire, 3808 West Iowa Street, on the orders of Battalion 18."

This past September, the Chicago PBS TV Station WTTW, broadcast an updated video of the fire titled "Angels Too Soon" It contains much of the original footage from the fire plus new interviews with a number of the grown survivors. Members of other PBS Stations (like Thirteen) are able to view the PBS "Passport" streaming service. The documentary is found on Passport in WTTW's Chicago Stories series. It may also still be available at this link https://interactive.wttw.com/chicago-stories/angels-too-soon/video?v=full-ep

Thank you "811".
I watched that twice.

What a story it tells.

Reactions: 811
I was told by a retired chief that after the fire a lot of guys left the job. It really affected the members that were there, no counseling, debriefing, etc.