Party crashers?

Is anyone else hearing police activity (does not sound like NYPD) on 154.37MHz? 

Even though that freq. is (was?) reserved by the FCC to the fire radio service I'm guessing FDNY will not squawk because of their upcoming switchover to UHF. 

Which IMO btw, as far as signal coverage is concerned, is unfortunate.  :-[

I hear it too. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now.

I attribute it to Sporadic-E, it's that time of year.

Back in the late 80's to around 1990, Brooklyn used to "party crash" our dispatch frequency usually in the evening, it hasn't happened since. It came in loud and clear like we were nearby and not 400 miles away. Everyone would huddle around the radio and listen to it for hours. At the same time our dispatch center was having a fit. Norfolk used to have the same frequency as the Bronx/SI and I believe the same event occured from time to time. 

I sure wish a few party crashers like Brooklyn, The Bronx, Norfolk or Virginia Beach F.D. would crash a few of my local channels. It would be a pleasure.

Many years ago a fire department (I believe it was Bridgeport, Ct.) would come through clearly at times on the Brooklyn frequency.

69 METS said:
Many years ago a fire department (I believe it was Bridgeport, Ct.) would come through clearly at times on the Brooklyn frequency.

Bridgeport Fire Dept is on 153.77 Mhz. That is the same frequency for Queens inbound repeaters. Also known as Queens Mixer off frequency. I am guessing that is what might have been heard, unless it was another dept on Brooklyn's channel.

I would also sometimes hear Brooklyn while in my car buffing Providence (both were on 154.37 mhz). For me, "THAT SURE WAS THE BEST of BOTH WORLDS".

I think it is what they refer it to as "Skip'. I've heard it runs in 11 year cycles. Something to do with sun spots. 

I believe that Philly fire used to interfere on the Brooklyn frequency back in the 60's and 70's also ... Man, my memory is getting fuzzy ...

Nothing wrong with your memory, Garrett.  Philly did in fact come in on Bklyn for a while.

Thanks John ... It's a good feeling when some of my recollections turn out to be accurate ... LOL.

Don't think it's sporadic-e because I hear them running alot of NJ plates.

As to Philly, they used to operate a FD  repeater with an OUTPUT of 153.95, which of course was an FCC rule violation because that's designated as a mobile unit only frequency.  One night, one of their meatball politicians was attending what I recall may have been a baseball game and was apparently sitting on his HT.  You can guess the rest. 

It was so very nasty that Brooklyn Disp. "Cheech" would tell the Brooklyn units that we could not hear them because "Philly is knocking our d*cks in the dirt". 

There's a tape out there of Mike Espo on Brooklyn trying to go out and getting totally stepped on by a job in Philly. Ahhh, Cheech, great boss, hell of a guy.

Some great pictures of some great guys & friends in the BKLYN C.O. from my RES*2 years i remember that Plaque presentation....nice to see pictures of Bob LePage who i first met around 1962.

I just added 6 more pictures to the set so Cheech is now 7th from the end.

If anyone has photos from the CO or of Brooklyn dispatchers of yore, please consider sending me a copy so I can add it.