Plastic Container Rope Storage

I've seen several FDNY units store their rope in a plastic container...my question for this is, is it secured on the bottom like a typical rope bag so it can be dropped from a window to run hose up the side of building or hoisting equipment? Information appreciated or a picture. This is definately cheaper than a rope bag.

F.D.N.Y. Engine Companies carry a length of utility rope in a large plastic bleach jug. When the area the company wishes to use for line access is reached, the bottle is dropped out the window and the firefighter at the window holds onto the free end of the utility rope. A firefighter in the street secures the rope to the nozzle and the line is quickly pulled up the side of the building. A 50' section of hose stretched in this manner will span 5 stories.

8.16 UTILITY ROPE STRETCH
8.16.1 Engine companies should carry 75 feet of 3/8 inch nylon rope to be used for a quick, efficient stretch to upper floors or roofs (see Fig. 8-6). This rope can be used to haul the line:
  ? To roofs of low buildings, i.e., taxpayers, three story frames, brownstones.
  ? In vacant buildings when interior stairs are missing or damaged and would present a hazard in supporting an interior stretch.
  ? In buildings with the staircase winding around an elevator shaft.
  ? At fires requiring three lines, when the interior stairs already have two lines on them.
  ? When CIDS or previous knowledge indicates its use.
  ? In non-standpipe project buildings.

The rope is usually not secured to the bottom of the container.

The clorox bottle should contain a weight in the bottom to insure deployment ........a small disc of steel or a small length of heavy chain wired to the inside bottom.......leave the handle intact ......make a fist size cutout to insert the weight....feed the rope out thru the neck .....when deploying the bottle be aware of any projections or overhangs or awnings etc where the bottle may land rather than in the street.......members with the line should keep area clear to avoid anyone getting hit with the bottle.......member tossing keep a firm grip on rope......ALWAYS deploy bottle from the floor below so that the line can be brought up the stairs to the fire floor.........this way the hose is your lifeline to follow back to the stairs & down rather than to a window on the FIREFLOOR.........tying the rope to either the nozzle or around the line 6" below the nozzle is your preference i like 6" below the nozzle.

firefighterbadger said:
I've seen several FDNY units store their rope in a plastic container...my question for this is, is it secured on the bottom like a typical rope bag so it can be dropped from a window to run hose up the side of building or hoisting equipment? Information appreciated or a picture. This is definately cheaper than a rope bag.

"firefighterbadger", that's a Great question. And what it shows to you and many others the kind of things that the FDNY Members have come up with over the years. It is a perfect example of one of the reasons I buffed the FDNY. It has been such a learning experience for me, and many of these ideas I tried to pass on to the guys when I was on the job. I remember showing the guys about putting a "sling" on a saw to make it easier to carry. The guys couldn't believe it. Like, "why didn't we think of that". Same for carrying the "Can". I remember passing it on, "all courtesy of FDNY". No expensive courses or books. No self promoting instuctors. Just some hard working firefighters trying to make their job a little easier, and always willing to share their knowledge and experience to others. And NEVER asking for a pat on the back. Thanks Guys for all the help, and you sure know your stuff.

Just  be sure  to  rinse the  Bleach bottle  very  well and  throw a cheap snap  link  on  the End  so  you  can  quickly and easily  find  a point  to  anchor... before you throw it  down.... The  snap link  should  be  strong enough  Just in case as long as the  rope is strong  enough for a worst case  senerio but if your  using  1/2 manilla  thats  moot  too..  think of it this way,  it all the guy on the job  can tie  knots  in the dark , smoke  one handed  behind they're back left handed  etc.. then  let em  tie a good  anchor  knot, if not use  a good  snap link..  this brings to mind  an  incident  on my job  20 odd years  ago in a  3  frame Charlie  Throw  down the rope !    the guys  down belwo  with the line  ready to  go up the outside wall and on the  upper  porch,  so  Charlie  did  exactly that  took an old  school  coiled  Utility  rope  and tossed  it down to the Guys  below (yep,  The entire coil)  similarly I  remeber  calling out  the 4th floor window down to the street  to my partner  who had gone  down  to get a couple  hooks as we  had a lot of  walls to pull and  guys standing around ,.. I yelled down  Hey Billy,  Bring Up a light too,  he  waved and  a few minutes  later he arrived walked over and handed me  a book of  matches.... lol Umm ok... I meant  A Hand  Light  or something  to help us see.....lol

People,

I made this model, to explain a a great FDNY smart solution, less than $7 Bucks.

Cristian C.
Bomberos de Santiago, Chile
pa080098.jpg

pa080099.jpg

pa080102.jpg

Looks good.....did you weight the container as i mentioned above ?.....also the thicker the container material is.....the longer it will last.

big washer
bottom is irregular, so extra glue and patience...
;D
Regards and thank you 68jk

Cristian

"Bombero", Thank you for the pictures so others will know what this is all about.As the aying goes, "A pictue is worth a thousand words". And Yes, just a simple thing that the FDNY has produced to make the Firefighters job a little easier. They've had this for years. No Pats on the back, and nobody walking around saying "look what I made".
  Yes, Thank you for posting those pictures too. Great job.

This photo shows a Lt. from E-48 at a recent 2nd in Da Bronx carrying "The Container" in his left hand.
thebottlej.jpg