Possible war years repeating itself.

Fire duty will never be what it was due to two things - nobody smokes cigarettes anymore and the ones who do, the cigarette burns itself out when someone “falls asleep”, and the fact that everyone has a cell phone now to call in any odor that comes in. The “OSW”’s haven’t dropped as much as “major fires”, because we get there so quickly and contain it immediately.

the other piece of the puzzle is BISP/Building Code. Drastically “improved” since the 70’s. Also a large part of fire duty in the 70’s and even into the 80’s and 90’s was arson in vacants. There are hardly any vacants in the 5 boroughs due to the demand of real estate.

Back in May of 1970 L120 had a sign in their window saying they did 1000 runs for that month. When I was in 233-2 we interchanged with squad 4 when they were on Bristol street and they wound up doing 10,000 runs, although it wasn't published, we did many a 30-40 run night with a few jobs thrown in.

Back in May of 1970 L120 had a sign in their window saying they did 1000 runs for that month. When I was in 233-2 we interchanged with squad 4 when they were on Bristol street and they wound up doing 10,000 runs, although it wasn't published, we did many a 30-40 run night with a few jobs thrown in.
So true ta176..... During E 319s interchange with
E 332 in ENY the busiest year was 1978.
With the point system going into effect we interchanged with 332 every other night. That year between the interchange and normal runs at 319 we counted approx 4500 runs for that year.
Personnely for myself l rode with 332 on our non interchange nights and the weekend.
319s normal monthly runs were approx 150 runs a month. 319 had there dinner dance last night at vetros on x- Bay Blvd. It was great for me seeing the old timers from the 70s & 80s.

This was one neighborhood in the Bronx in the 1980s, following the FDNY War Years of the 70s

There were many other neighborhoods throughout the city that saw similar results such as the Lower East Side, Harlem, Bed-Sty, Brownsville, Bushwick, Coney Island, Williamsburg, Jamaica, etc.

Whether it was Multiple Dwellings, Row Frames, Taxpayers, Private Dwellings, or Vacant Factories

As you watch this video throughout one neighborhood in the Bronx, "do you think we will ever see it like this again" ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qva5bbF5VZU

Last edited:
Probably not the correct forum for this but today I heard two calls for immediate PD responses. The first was a company in Brooklyn who had an irate "citizen" who would not move his double parked auto to let the rig pass and therefore unable to respond to the box. The second was this afternoon when L33 in Da Bronx radioed for PD assistance as numerous persons of dubious character had the rig blocked and were throwing rocks at it and the members. As a side note, my nephew (PD) has his annual range day at Rodman's Neck today and all the attendees were held over after their 1500 departure time due to the Wisconsin verdict. I think they are still there. Thank goodness it's going to be cold tonight as that might keep the miscreants indoors.

Well after what Deblasio and Cuomo said regarding the verdict they deserve any thing that happens. Just remember they handcuffed the Police.