Queens Third Alarm 3-19-89

This was the carbon paper factory fire....i responded there as a LT. when i was in ENG*332....i seem to remember it going to a Fourth but i could be wrong.....at the time there was a lot of concern about the content of the smoke due to the carbon paper but like a lot of other things it got swept away as soon as the next job occured......it was odd that the fire took place around the time that computers & printers were doing away w/the need for carbon paper.

68jk09 said:
This was the carbon paper factory fire....i responded there as a LT. when i was in ENG*332....i seem to remember it going to a Fourth but i could be wrong.....at the time there was a lot of concern about the content of the smoke due to the carbon paper but like a lot of other things it got swept away as soon as the next job occured......it was odd that the fire took place around the time that computers & printers were doing away w/the need for carbon paper.

Chief,

Talking about the potential toxicity of the smoke,  when I looked at the video I saw the the firefighters on the tower ladders they were covered with the smoke.  I didn't notice anyone wearing masks.  What is the protocol on using masks in the towers?

Kfd274

Probably a lot more masks used all around today as compared to '89 when this fire occurred.....some depts. outside NYC have breathing air piped up to the tl basket this however would limit our interior search from a bucket if you had to stay connected to it.

68jk09 said:
it was odd that the fire took place around the time that computers & printers were doing away w/the need for carbon paper.

So you're saying that there may have been a lightning strike here. Chief?... LOL

69 METS said:
68jk09 said:
it was odd that the fire took place around the time that computers & printers were doing away w/the need for carbon paper.

So you're saying that there may have been a lightning strike here. Chief?... LOL
Religous lightning?

That was a nasty job for the brothers.  Everytime the wind shifted everybody ran in a different direction. I was riding with the 59 Batt that day and we were parked in the beginning of the lot. I made sure all the windows were close on the car, otherwise the interior would have stunk till the Batt was dispanded later that year.

Also 68jk09 I noted you were a boss in 332.  We started interchanging with 332 in 1970 and it ended in 1980. There were a great bunch  of guys at the Liberty Av house. I use to ride with 332 when Capt Tricky Dick Keenan was the boss in the 70s. 

Great video, like to see the Satelite going to work. I guess this supports my answer on a previous thread of the imporance of TL's :D :D :D :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)GG