Rear Mounts and Tillers

Do the rear mount ladders and the tiller ladders still carry ladder pipes and the hose for it?  I have seldom seen or heard of them being used since the more wide spread use of tower ladders  When towers were first being issued they still had and used the ladder pipes but haven't heard of them in use recently.

In past years some LADs had taken the ladder pipe off the rig....there was a job where a LAD was in front of the bldg & told to set up the LP & did not have one so afterwards all LADs were ordered to carry them as they do today. 

From what I remember, because of assignments of trucks, this Flatbush Ave fire (Third Alarm on arrival, late 1970s) had two or three ladder pipes working early in the operation. Trucks in this photo are L113, L132, L147.

FlatbushAvetheatreLR.png

I believe that fire was at the Albemarle Theater, Flatbush Avenue at Albemarle Road, possibly box 1554.  If not the Albemarle, it would be the Loew's Kings Theater one block south.

Thanks John, I was asked this but wasn't sure.  I hate to give out bad information.

Over my yearsof buffing, I saw very few ladder pipes operatig. But I do remember seeing one way backin the 70s or early 80s. It was a Fifth Alarm in a factory in Brooklyn. I think it was on Waverly Place and I think it was Ladder Co 108. That was even the exception then, because of the use of tower ladders for that purpose.

It was the Albemarle

Other pictures at these links

http://www.jgdwyerphotography.com/jgd-0017#photo

http://www.jgdwyerphotography.com/jgd-0016#photo

In his picture 16, a little after mine, you can see 113 and 132 setting up ladder pipes

All of the new Ferraras have ladderpipe mounted on top of a diamondplate box on the officers side. Tillers used to have 2 ladderpipes (one in a tray with 100ft. of hose and another on the underside of bed ladder). Today they only carry the ladderpipe in hose in a tray.

A very common thing in the late 60's thru early 70's. It reminds me of a retired member who told a "War Years" story about a chief in the 3rd Battalion who was p*ssed-off with a certain NE Queens ladder co. because they didn't know how to set up a ladderpipe at a job while on "interchange" in the So. Bronx. ;D

I have personally set up the ladder pipe with in the last year or two in China Town, and also seen it used by another company as well.  Possibly be the only time in my career I see them used.