Red, White, and Blue...and Green

I'm currently in Rosemont, IL (Chicago suburb near O'Hare airport) and saw one of their Engines responding to run and it had flashing red, white, blue, and green lights on it. First time I've seen four different colored lights on a fire apparatus.

I'm currently in Rosemont, IL (Chicago suburb near O'Hare airport) and saw one of their Engines responding to run and it had flashing red, white, blue, and green lights on it. First time I've seen four different colored lights on a fire apparatus.
No amber / yellow anywhere on it, especially 1 in the rear area? The Green are common in lL for some reason, Chicago has had 1 or 2 on top & front for a long time, but l've noticed in recent years that some blues have been added or replaced some of the greens.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It's all about visibility, amber and red are so common on automobiles that in many areas, they are going to green and/or blue so they stand out better.

Blue really stands out for me. Up here in southeast MA police are all blue and your can really see them coming. Kind of calming also

Blue really stands out for me. Up here in southeast MA police are all blue and your can really see them coming. Kind of calming also
Blue certainly stands out more, as the odd color also, the green is / has been one on top of Chicago for a long time for some reason, seems green could be mistaken for a green traffic light maybe, but not very common.

CFD Greens are coming back. The older units had them on the mirror mounting but I believe the tradition is returning. Former commissioner in the 20's came from a nautical family, so hence red and green, port and starboard, apparatus and houses. I do not know why they tried amber for awhile.

Blue certainly stands out more, as the odd color also, the green is / has been one on top of Chicago for a long time for some reason, seems green could be mistaken for a green traffic light maybe, but not very common.,
CFD Greens are coming back. The older units had them on the mirror mounting but I believe the tradition is returning. Former commissioner in the 20's came from a nautical family, so hence red and green, port and starboard, apparatus and houses. I do not know why they tried amber for awhile.
Ahh, the nautical ... that explains the green, , some of the newer Chicago, CFD, seem to have used blue instead of green incorporated in the light bars on the roofs of apparatus even, from photos l have seen.

the ambers are usually on the rear, many departments will have one or more.

Albert W. Goodrich was the Fire Commissioner from April, 1927 to April, 1931. His family owned the Goodrich Steamship Line which they sold in 1926. He was a huge fire fan.
He instituted the red/green navigation lights on fire houses and rigs. The use of black paint on top of apparatus (if they had a top) began about the same time. All leaders like to put a stamp on their tenure while in charge. It's usually a vanity project like the Lone Ranger's silver bullets; of little utility.

Albert W. Goodrich was the Fire Commissioner from April, 1927 to April, 1931. His family owned the Goodrich Steamship Line which they sold in 1926. He was a huge fire fan.
He instituted the red/green navigation lights on fire houses and rigs. The use of black paint on top of apparatus (if they had a top) began about the same time. All leaders like to put a stamp on their tenure while in charge. It's usually a vanity project like the Lone Ranger's silver bullets; of little utility.
When it came time to waterproof the top of the chief's buggy the only thing readily available was a black tar-like pitch. Hence the black roof.

Yes you are correct. I always said each new chief has to piss on the hydrant (change something like a patch, logo, or apparatus design) to mark their territory lol

There's a 150 foot odd high cellular tower about two thousand feet south of me. During the day it has a flashing white strobe light. At night it is flashing red. Howze this work?

Last edited:
There's a 150 foot odd high cellular tower about two thousand feet south of me. During the day it has a flashing white strobe light. At night it is flashing red. Howze this work?
The strobes are most likely in a clear housing with clear strobes firing during daylight and red at night, all controlled by a relay and a photo sensor. If the sensor measures above a certain amount of light, the current is directed to the clear strobes, below that it would power the red lights.

Seems that the brain recognizes flashing red as danger and flashing blue as a Walmart sale.
I live up in southeast Massachusetts.. Mosttown police vehicles and state police have all blue lights. They really show up and are more calming . I like them> Similar in Florida

I work on those cell towers. White and red are easier for aircraft to see during day and night respectively. Fun fact, those light housings are about 6 feet tall!