Rescue 2

Does any one know what street there new house will be on if it's built?
Why dont they just put them with 283 on Brownsville they have the room to house them there house has 4 or five bays?

Charging in 113 said:
Does any one know what street there new house will be on if it's built?
Why dont they just put them with 283 on Brownsville they have the room to house them there house has 4 or five bays?

I believe it's Sterling Pl at Saratoga Ave.

A little background on the R*2 location history ...I started in R*2 while it was quartered on Carlton Av in W/210 that location as well as the Jay St location (for a time back in the '40s i believe) was always according to lore in that area because of the proximity to the BKLYN Navy Yard....but by the mid 1970s the Navy Yard activity had slowed considerably from its heyday during WW2 (there were still some Fires in both the few remaining Navy Ships & in some of the newer leased commercial spaces in the old Military bldgs but certainly not enough to justify keeping the Rescue in one end of the boro) .....we also in the mid '70s had taken on new responsibilities one being SCUBA that along w/increasing collapse duties resulted in a need for a larger qtrs or at least not a single bay FH shared w/an ENG... at the time the 2 Brownstones next door were vacant & we lobbied to get the City to invoke eminent domain & expand the FH....the FC & the COD as well as some Legal people came looked around & said NO....they did offer to let us move to another location...there were a few spots in vacant FHs...225/332 on Liberty Ave although in good shape just too far East...107 on NJ Av but it was in shambles inside ....234s old Qtrs on Bergen St but it had Fire Salvage in it.....105s old Qtrs on Pacific St but still too far West....234s Bergen St FH was centrally located not in the center of the Boro (as 248 was/is) but 234 was in the center of most of the work in BKLYN at the time so that location was suggested to the "big wheels" & after awhile they moved Fire Salvage to the old 225/332 qtrs & we went to Bergen St in 1985 ....the FH on Bergen does by this time need further enlargement & upgrading.....my idea would be to build a large FH next door on Bergen St in one of the ballfields then tear down the old FH & make that part of the park.....i am not in the loop anymore but i mentioned this to some of the present R*2 Members but some seemed to think the Sterling Place location was good ....if it is to built in this area i think going around the corner to the Saratoga Av & Eastern Pkwy location was better coming right out on a wider street....i also would think that if Bergen St was out then 248 which its in the center of the actual Boro & a double house would be a consideration since the work has moved down more that way but like i said i am out of the loop....as the sticker on some motorcycle helmet's say "Let those who ride decide"......the new location should be  on Eastern Pkwy & Saratoga Ave the former site of three 18 story project type bldgs that were in a very short period of time rendered inhabitable & torn down ....maybe the only time this was done in NYC.....pan right or left arrow to the fenced lot by the Alarm box..... www.vpike.com/?place=Saratoga+Ave+%26+Eastern+Parkway+bklyn+ny&submit=Street+View&r=e on a side note regarding eminent domain it had been used widely in the past but seems not to be a choice in the more recent administrations....a glaring example on under utilizing it is the aborted construction project next to the present qtrs of 287/136/46 where the notorious developer undermined the FH almost causing a collapse & requiring two separate instances of the Units having to be temporarily relocated while "temporary" measures were taken to shore the FH & backfill the illegal digging alongside....now the lot & its now buried foundation sits in limbo & damage to the FH like a brand new at the time 15 ft city provided side fencing & an outdoor drill area have never been replaced by the offending contractor who is always one step ahead of the law.....it has been "suggested" many times to those in authority that before the contractor proceeds again in violation of the stop work order that eminent domain is invoked & the FD utilize the lot as either an additional bay for already overpacked FH &/or using part of as a local drill site for FD training....no one seems interested ....PS during the last violation of several stop work order's a worker was killed when an improper trench was dug alongside a block wall which collapsed on him ..... Pan left or right arrow to see lot on exp 4 side of FH.... www.vpike.com/?place=GRAND+AVE+%26+SEABURY+ST+QUEENS+NY&submit=Street+View&r=e

Bulldog

Bulldog
Great video, short and sweet but it certainly tells the story of what it takes in the rescue's of FDNY.  I really like how he describes the members of the rescue company as problem solvers!

Bulldog

Bulldog
Jedi1973 said:
Sorry for my ignorance  so is R2 in their new house or is it being built??
As mentioned by Ray, it's under construction and like everything else in New York I'm sure it will be over budget and take twice as long as it should.

Who replaces R2 as the first due Truck on their old first due boxes once they relocate!? Will this mean R5 grabs a few more Brooklyn boxes as R2 moves further east? With just as many fires occuring in Flatbush and the surrounding communities as there are in Brownsville I wonder what the motivation was for relocating R2 so far east in the Borough? Geographically as far as response times to their Borough goes does it make sense?

JG

Have you actually looked at a map.  R2?s new quarters is at most a mile away from their present firehouse. It?s basically @ Eastern Parkway & Saratoga Avenue and should basically have zero impact on their response area.

mack

Administrator
Jedi1973 said:
Who replaces R2 as the first due Truck on their old first due boxes once they relocate!? Will this mean R5 grabs a few more Brooklyn boxes as R2 moves further east? With just as many fires occuring in Flatbush and the surrounding communities as there are in Brownsville I wonder what the motivation was for relocating R2 so far east in the Borough? Geographically as far as response times to their Borough goes does it make sense?

JG

Rescue companies are not assigned as truck companies on any boxes. No Brooklyn ladder company assignments will be affected by Rescue 2's new firehouse and Rescue 2 assignments should also not be affected by a short move to their new firehouse.

It used to be that a Rescue was supposed to be assigned to a local box if they were closer than a truck company but as everyone knows, that wasn't always the case.

R.2's New Qtrs. approx. 5 Blocks East of 123 Truck and about 6 -7 Blocks Wets of 120.
The move makes for 123 being 1st Due for most of da' Rescue's formerly 1st Due Boxes.

Such proximity to 120 puts R.2 1st Due to many of 120's Boxes. It'll be quite interesting to see how that works out.  ???

Also: In panning around I see New R.2 House is about 7 Blocks from Kings Hwy.
This will get da' Rescue into Canarsie, East Flatbush, Midwood, Flatlands... Much Quicker  8)

With regards Rescues and first due boxes, in the FDNY AN OPERATIONAL GUIDE, it is stated that Rescue Companies operate as a Truck Company in the First Due boxes within the immediate location of their firehouse.

JT

Jedi1973 said:
With regards Rescues and first due boxes, in the FDNY AN OPERATIONAL GUIDE, it is stated that Rescue Companies operate as a Truck Company in the First Due boxes within the immediate location of their firehouse.

JT
It is stated in a "Guide"...Yes but they do not eliminate either of the normally assigned 1st or 2nd Due Trucks  ...they just augment the operation including if an additional Line is needed.....there are always regular E & T assignments on the Boxes surrounding their FH regardless if  they are in the area or not ....  they often are out of the area on other Responses whether they are there or not there the Units still operate as per assignment.

68jk09 said:
Jedi1973 said:

JT
It is stated in a "Guide"...Yes but they do not eliminate either of the normally assigned 1st or 2nd Due Trucks  ...they just augment the operation including if an additional Line is needed.....there are always regular E & T assignments on the Boxes surrounding their FH regardless if  they are in the area or not ....  they often are out of the area on other Responses whether they are there or not there the Units still operate as per assignment.

Gotcha cheers???