Rescue 6

H

hfd 130

I have heard that FDNY has a Rescue 6 but can find no info on it. Could someone confirm or deny this and give a little info. Thanks

There was a Rescue 6 in downtown Manhattan shortly after and in response to 9/11.  It has since been disbanded.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue 6 is a "Reserve Rescue" It's fully loaded and ready to roll when needed. 
Last check it was stored at Ladder 20.

It was placed in service for the Fatal Bronx fire last year.

C

ConcordFireParamedic

From what I've read, Rescue 6 was in service for one of the political conventions and was covering the southern part on Manhattan. I believe he is right that it has been disbanded, and from what I understand it was staffed by rescue firefighters from other SOC companies. The truck designated as rescue 6 is nick-named "spirit of Oklahoma" and was purchased by funds given mainly by people from Oklahoma. Hope that helps!! 

i think its response area was 20th street and south river to river. Im not sure if it was allowed to respond to anyother incidents, from what i heard it was funded by the republican national convention, and disbanded after the presidential convention. IT also had a 2nd piece a collapse unit that was a converted ryder truck.

It was in service for the Republican National Convention. Tommy's was correct, it's stored at Ladder 20's house

RESCUE 6 MANHATTAN
ORG. 253 Lafayette St. At L-20 (Aug. 3, 2004)
DISB. (Nov. 3, 2004)

source: www.nyfd.com

Bulldog

Bulldog
The last I heard it was still fully equipped and would still be manned for special events or major emergencies.  The truck itself has also been used as a spare on occasion it was the other rescues goes out of service.

Are you sure its at ladder 20? When i was in nyc in july it wasnt there i do know that rescue-7 was stored at squad-270 in queens and using the donated mack rescue.

According to FDNY Trucks its at L20.

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/l20.htm

Probably dated info.

I was ""AQ" L20 in mid-September.  R6 was not there.  The rebreather unit was.

116ff60 said:
Are you sure its at ladder 20? When i was in nyc in july it wasnt there i do know that rescue-7 was stored at squad-270 in queens and using the donated mack rescue.

Rescue 7 ????  Have I missed something, or was it a typo?

M

mmattyphoto

No,they have rig set up as R7,but has been used as a spair.

There were two oddball rescue apparatus delivered to NY in 2002, an ALF/Freightliner and a Mack MR/General Safety.  Both of these have served as both Rescue 6 and as spares.

Rescue 6 itself was placed briefly into service in 2004 for the RNC, and was housed at L20.  It used first the Mack, then the ALF "Spirit of Oklahoma" which is now primarily a spare.  L20's house is now home to Ladder 20, Division 1, SOC Rebreather 2, and reserve aerial and engine companies.
The Mack, which I've seen nicknamed "Rescue 7", is simply labeled "Rescue Services".  I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it is fully equipped as a reserve rescue unit.

Thanx, guys.  I knew about the 2 rescues . . . if I'm not mistaken, both were donated to FDNY after 9/11.  I just had never heard the "Rescue 7" moniker.  I know there's never been an active Rescue 7.

Rescue-7 is just like rescue-6 a reserve rescue. Rescue-7 is keept at squad-270 in queens it was there when i went to visit the house when i was visiting nyc in july. It is the mack rescue that was donated after 9-11.