Rescue Medics!

Are these new Rescue Medic Ambulances assigned to specific EMS Battalions and still respond as a normal ALS unit when not assigned to 10-60's. Or are these Rescue Medics assigned to EMSSOC and have no assigned area and roam the city. Basically, how do they respond and where are they assigned.

J

johnmiles

Squad2 said:
Are these new Rescue Medic Ambulances assigned to specific EMS Battalions and still respond as a normal ALS unit when not assigned to 10-60's. Or are these Rescue Medics assigned to EMSSOC and have no assigned area and roam the city. Basically, how do they respond and where are they assigned.

i think they get assigned on regular runs in their area same with haz tac units.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
They have a normal CSL "Cross Street Location" and are assigned to an EMS Battalion. They respond on normal ALS jobs in thier 1st due area and then cover the boro for rescue jobs.  They are also HAZTAC trained.

There is no EMS SOC, only EMS HazTac Operations, which covers HazTac 1 and 2.

3-Rescue Morrison and Bruckner, Bronx
7-Rescue 34th Street and 6th Ave, Manhattan
23-Rescue Huguenot and Amboy, Staten Island
35-Rescue Metropolitain and Union Ave, Brooklyn
45-Rescue 39th Street and Queens Blvd, Queens

Thanks for the info.

What special rescue equipment do they carry with them on their bus, And do they have any advanced protocols that they can do on a patient such as a crush syndrome or Field amputation

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
They can do crush syndrome and stuff like that.  I don't think they can do the ampuatation, I would have to see if the Doc's can do it.  There are two FDNY doctors who are USAR/Rescue trained.

H

HammerHead

tbendick said:
They can do crush syndrome and stuff like that.  I don't think they can do the ampuatation, I would have to see if the Doc's can do it.  There are two FDNY doctors who are USAR/Rescue trained.
I'll put it to you this way-Rescue Medics are trained by SOC.  They are trained just like a Rescue Co. except the ability to fight fires

Some pics of one of the rescue ambulances, with compartment pics and special equipment pics would be great.

They are equipped with SCBA's (1hr bottles), decon equipment, Level A's/B's. 

HCO

FDNY deploys 36 Haz-Tac ambulances (15 BLS, 16 ALS, 5 ALS-Rescue).  Rescue ambulance personnel are qualified in Confined Space and Collapse Rescue (40 hours each), Confined Space Medicine and Crush Medicine Syndrome (24 hours), Trench Rescue (20 hours) and High-Angle Rescue (20 hours).  Personnel are rated as Hazmat Technicians II.  SOC personnel receive 40 hours Trench and 80 hours High-Angle training, as well as Collapse and Confined Space training, and are qualified as Rescue Technicians II and Hazmat Technicians II.

FDNY Haz-Tac ambulances are 36-inch longer than the basic Ford F-350 ambulance and have a full-width compartment added between cab and ambulance body on a Ford F-450 chassis.

Haz-Tac rescue ambulances have, in addition to their hazmat equipment, rescue helmets and harnesses, rescue medical bags, and have a basic metering capability.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY just put out a memo, got another grant so they will be adding more Rescue Medics.  No word one what they will do, but they are putting together a class for medics to goto Rescue school.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
It's my understanding that Local2507 did make some form of deal to give Haztac and Rescue the 12%.

aloha, what are there duties once they arrive on scene? do rescue medics ever help in conducting searches, or help the FAST CO in operations or do they standby and wait to be called in, particually on 10-60s. thanks