Return of the Fire Patrol

Less than 5 years after the disbanding of the patrol formerly run by the NY Board of Fire Underwriters, the Fire Patrol has re-emerged as an independent "Not-For-Profit Corporation".  It has already received IRS approval as a 501(c)3 charitable organization  (meaning that the organization is tax-exempt and any contributions made to it are tax deductible) and it is awaiting certain enabling legislation that seems to have bi-partisan support in both houses of the NYS legislature, as well as by local and congressional elected officials.  They are seeking funding from public and private grants as well as corporate and individual voluntary contributions.

A little bit down the road, they will be looking for both paid and volunteer help, both in manning the Patrol and for administrative functions.

The Patrol website with contact information is online at  www.newyorkfirepatrol.com .  Anyone interested in helping out can ask to go on the mailing list.

Their goal is to be up and running before the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Haven't the quarters of Fire Patrol been sold? Will they be looking for new quarters? I'm sure this all probably up in the air still, but I wonder will the city let them operate out of any firehouses owned by NYC?

I know the one on 3rd or 4th st was purchased by anderson cooper,I had heard the one in dean st was bought by a daycare, the one in midtown is still unocupied. So I'm also intrested where they will setup shop. And also they have sold most of their rigs too. Maybe they purchase a ex fdny house or 2.

i think i might offer my services as a volunteer!! What are the laws about volunteering in the USA as a none US citizen??? ;D what a fine historic and integral part of New York City's History and character, to be a part of something like this would be special. in my opinion anyways.

JT